Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Sway bar disconnect - 80 Series

While we are at it....anyone with an 80 disconnecting the sway bar using a set-up like this:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/7...sconnects.html

If so, how does it handle on the road when everything is connected the way it is supposed to? Is it like normal? Or do you still get a little bit of craziness?

Who is currently disconnecting their front sway bar on their 80 when wheeling?
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 12-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Rising Sun Commander

My experience was on the Rubicon.. after the first day we all (80 guys) disconnected both sway bars, mainly to save links after a couple had theirs automatically disconnected by the trail. The next day was like wheeling a hot marshmallow.. I didn't like it, too squishy. Kept my swaybars off for the ride home, still didn't like it, too much body roll. Bolted them back on, and liked that a lot better. Kept it that way.

I suspect some will say it's "fine" without running them, guess I just like things a little stiffer, feels better to me. And I never thought that a little less articulation was the reason I couldn't get up something, particularly with a front locker. Is less flex holding you back in some way?

edit: easy thing to try before you buy to see what you think, just take yours off and drive around for a bit- add in a pretend "panic stop" while you're at it.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Ditched my front sway bar a couple of years back & haven't looked back. Kept my rear in tach. Occasionally I wish I had it when towing our heavy camper on windy roads.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 12-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Never put the sway bar back on after Rubithon. Oops.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've got something like Phil's setup on my truck. I rarely actually pull the pins to release the bar. If the trail is going to be on the harder side, I'll release it. My goal with the quick release was to reduce the risk of breaking one of the mounts off of the axle. When they break, they can wipe out a soft brake line.

I started out with some basic clevis pins that I think were 5/16" rather than 8mm. The were a bit too loose and made some noise when the sway bay flexed. I couldn't find any metric pins so I made some that fit more like the OE bolts and that took care of the noise.

I didn't really notice a big change in the on-road handling with the front disconnected. The rear is still in place and I running the OME heavy spring setup. Additional flex looks cool on the trail but a wheel drooping further without any real weight on it doesn't do much for traction or stability. The disconnects are an easy mod but the real benefit is in reducing risk to the brake lines. An alt mod that requires welding is to install better bar connect brackets to the axle.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 12-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

sway bars? what are those?

i haven't run sway bars since shortly after i got the 80 seven years or so ago.
ige tlca #1431
Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
sway bars? what are those?

i haven't run sway bars since shortly after i got the 80 seven years or so ago.
Ige...I would expect nothing less! I actually assumed this about your vehicle.

Thanks to all for the responses. I just saw this thread on mud the other night and didn't really remember a whole lot of discussion other than the stuff about the carnage at Rubicon.

From this information, I don't think this will be much of a priority for me at this point.

Thanks again!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 12-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've been looking at that too. $100 is fair to your door but easy enough to fab up on your own too if you want to spend the time. There is not much in materials there. Mostly time tracking down the little stuff. And working out the geometry.

I'm sure there are times when more flex will help and times where it might not. We often have the luxury of wheeling in high traction locations where a front locker will pretty much pull you through most anything.

In today's litigation heavy world I'm not a fan of DD with no sway bar/s that is for sure.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 12-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

I agree Corbet. I think I would just weld something up if I want the option. But I think I would always want it connected if I were on the street, just because I like the way the truck handles on road right now.