Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default snowshoeing in Eagle county? kid friendly

we're going to head out with the family for some snowshoeing this week. I'm sure we'll do the more travelled trails, but anyone know of slightly more off the beaten path spots? either kid friendly or not, any suggestions would be great as we enter the winter season. I do like trudging through the snow. :-) . thanks!
Old 12-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Meadow Mountain out of Minturn has easy access and got surprisingly little action when I was up there. Kind of a grind up the first 200 yards but then you can play around or continue up if you want. Search out other trail heads out of Minturn too. The tourists don't seem to find those.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 12-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default cool...great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Search out other trail heads out of Minturn too. The tourists don't seem to find those.
Thanks for the advice. I dig Minturn, even now. I try not to go up there during vacation times, but as the kids get older I find it more and more necessary (first-world problems, eh?). and it is great. the touristy stuff turns me off these days, though.

we went up toward that snowmobile rental place a few years ago, up by camp hale. didn't do anything, but walked around....is that further than where you are talking about?

My in-laws live out in Wolcott, so we're up there quite a bit, and always looking for cool places to take folks.

thanks again. I'll post pics and a not-wheelin' trip report.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:33 PM

Not sure if it qualifies as Eagle County but we did Mayflower Gulch last year with some friends from Florida - which are like kids lol - and we all had a blast! It's just past Copper Mountain maybe 20 minutes or so and has beautiful views!

Edit: couldn't find my pictures I took but this is exactly what it looked like last January when we were up there:

Now you can Rent a Ducati in Denver!

www.RentYourAdventure.com
http://facebook.com/RentYourAdventure
Old 12-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send farnham a note. He does tours up there all winter long.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60 View Post
we went up toward that snowmobile rental place a few years ago, up by camp hale. didn't do anything, but walked around....is that further than where you are talking about?
Meadow Mountain trail starts literally only a couple hundred yards from I-70. There are a number of other trailheads basically from town. There is NFS office right there at the Minturn exit. You could get plenty of info there. But the Meadow Mountain trail has a parking lot right across from Avalanche Automotive where I used to work. Porter and I have been up there many a time.
2004 Starcraft 10RT