Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Air Compressors? Educate me...

Thinking about buying an air compressor for the garage. Say under $1000 budget. Something like this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2354_200612354

115v would be much easier to deal with but not required. What say you?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 12-27-2013, 10:45 PM

What are you gonna use it for? Just nail guns and inflating tires? Or paint guns and air tools?
KEITH
Old 12-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have had almost the exact same model as this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-26-...=c27pZ1z0v5qk# for 10 years. takes care of all my tire needs, blow out sprinklers every year, impact wrenches. If I am using a nozzle to blow out the truck it runs constantly. This one may not be enough for heavy grinder or paint spraying use.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

60 gal, 5 horse, upright, 220v, oil-type. $479 at Home Depot type places. You can't outrun this compressor unless you do a lot of sandblasting (without stopping) or use a giant impact wrench on 8-lug trucks as fast as you can. I have had mine almost 20 years (a Coleman) - never done anything except drain water out of it. I have used it extensively in that time, although as a hobbiest. Oil type are quieter than oilless and uprights take up less room. 220v start quickly/briskly and after it's wired, you have an welder outlet you can use if you don't feel like adding another 220v outlet.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powermate...6056/202636579
Old 12-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Use would be for air tools. I have a 1/2" impact now but would add to that of course. Paint sprayer maybe down the road. You know once you have the compressor the tools start to multiply.

I already have a 220v outlet in the garage for the welder so I'd just need to run a second line to where ever I decided to shoehorn this thing in.

Thoughts on portable vs perm? Looking at this to:http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2355_200612355

I don't have any brand in mind now. The Quincy is appealing as its made in the USA.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Last edited by Corbet; 01-02-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

I use a Quincy for work. Awesome. (13hp, 21cfm gasoline)
Old 12-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

30 gallon 5.2 cfm husky from homedepot. $429 when I got it a year ago.

I like it, but more is always better. That one you linked at 7 cfm would be sweet.... 26 gallons would keep it easy to move.

Mine is not enough for sandblasting but nothing except for what farnham run is. I hate sand blasting anyways. For air wrenches (I run air ratchets and impacts) it is plenty. For my die grinder it works fine too but getting small. For the disk sander it is a tad small. By small I mean it'll run the disk sander for a minute and then the pump kicks on and can't keep up totally but the tool remains functional. By a tad small I mean the compressor keeps up but cycles a lot. Bigger than 30 gallons would be nice in those cases.

I would certainly look for a belt drive low RPM cast iron pump type compressor whatever you do. Nothing against Daniel's machine.. it is perfectly functional, they are just a ton quieter and if you work in the garage a ton you'll appreciate the noise reduction more than anything. Plus for grinders and sanders they aren't typically enough.

Look on CL... You can find some nice machines used typically that are awesome.. at least in the front range you can. ESPECIALLY if you can run 220.
82 FJ40
Old 12-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Trail Ready

I can tell you I compared the 60 gal vertical compressors a while back and found most (Husky@Home Depot, Kobalt@Lowes, Sanborn@Menards) were the same and probably made by Campbell Hausfeld. Tractor Supply just had the Campbell Hausfeld for sale for $429 and I'll be installing one in my smaller shop.

I run a Kaeser SX6 with air dryer in my larger shop where I do a lot of spraying but that's much higher in price unless you get super lucky on the used market.
TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08
Old 12-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

These guys are giving good advice, so I'll let most of that stand.

The highest use items in our shop are the blast cabinet, followed by the die grinder. If you will do much of either (and if you are doing much of any restoration a blast cabinet is worth its weight in gold), you will want more CFMs for sure.

But Marco hit the most important nail on the head: look for quiet. Even in our big shop, the compressor is incredibly loud when it runs. Next time I build a shop, I'm going to build a little outdoor room to house the compressor in, just to keep it quieter in the shop. It's really hard to work sometimes with anyone else if the compressor is running.

Dan
Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
Next time I build a shop, I'm going to build a little outdoor room to house the compressor in, just to keep it quieter in the shop. It's really hard to work sometimes with anyone else if the compressor is running.
I've considered building a Compressor "shed" outside on the back wall to house it. Save me the floor space and the noise. My neighbor may not be impressed however
2004 Starcraft 10RT