Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 12-31-2013, 11:09 AM
RedCreeper's Avatar
RedCreeper RedCreeper is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Firestone, CO
Posts: 891
Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper
Default

HA! and you guys make fun of me for owning a JEEP!


nah nah

Nice choice by the way.
__________________
Kenny Jones
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
02 1500HD
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-02-2014, 08:14 AM
Air Randy's Avatar
Air Randy Air Randy is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Franktown, CO
Posts: 2,804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Randy, I heard they were coming out with a diesel in 2014. Have you researched that as an option?
That's what I really wanted and had also heard that they might be available in the Wrangler for 2014. Unfortunately they decided to put it in the Grand Cherokee and see how the market accepts it before they consider putting it in any different models.

Dee has a V-6 turbo diesel in her ML320, it's essentially the same engine they are putting in the Grand Cherokee since it was developed jointly by MB and Chrysler. It has great power, is very quiet and gets 30+ mpg on the highway.

However, the other thing I heard from the Jeep sales manager is that 2014 will be the last year for the solid front axle in the Wrangler. They will supposedly go with an IFS type front axle in 2015, but I am always a little dubious of the accuracy of info like this. We'll see.
__________________
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Fishy's Avatar
Fishy Fishy is offline
Rising Sun Event Coordinator
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 1,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post

Dee has a V-6 turbo diesel in her ML320, it's essentially the same engine they are putting in the Grand Cherokee since it was developed jointly by MB and Chrysler. It has great power, is very quiet and gets 30+ mpg on the highway.
We just looked at a R320 MB with that diesel in it. It's the minivan/wagon version. Any other input on that engine?

We're in the market for a new to us family ride because Michelle's Honda was the victim of a nasty hit and run downtown. Thankfully, her and the kids were not in the van. She was volunteering just before Christmas for the Dolls for Daughters event. Someone plowed into the van, took the time to leave a bogus note with fake phone number and drove off. Denver PD wouldn't even take a report or come to the scene. Van has been in the shop ever since. Merry Christmas to us. It's just metal and plastic though, so who cares? It can all be replaced.
__________________
Stan
UZJ100 (Non-White Edition)

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Air Randy's Avatar
Air Randy Air Randy is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Franktown, CO
Posts: 2,804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
We just looked at a R320 MB with that diesel in it. It's the minivan/wagon version. Any other input on that engine?

We're in the market for a new to us family ride because Michelle's Honda was the victim of a nasty hit and run downtown. Thankfully, her and the kids were not in the van. She was volunteering just before Christmas for the Dolls for Daughters event. Someone plowed into the van, took the time to leave a bogus note with fake phone number and drove off. Denver PD wouldn't even take a report or come to the scene. Van has been in the shop ever since. Merry Christmas to us. It's just metal and plastic though, so who cares? It can all be replaced.
Its been a really good engine. Were at 80K+ on it (2007 model year) and other than oil & air filter changes the only other repair was to replace a defective cam position sensor at 50K miles.
__________________
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-03-2014, 09:08 AM
simps80's Avatar
simps80 simps80 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arvada, CO
Posts: 839
Default wrangler with IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
<snip>

However, the other thing I heard from the Jeep sales manager is that 2014 will be the last year for the solid front axle in the Wrangler. They will supposedly go with an IFS type front axle in 2015, but I am always a little dubious of the accuracy of info like this. We'll see.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1402...es-march-2013/

This Just In
We are not sure whether Automotive News got this right, but one of its reporters, after interviewing Jeep Chief Mike Manley, thought Manley was hinting that the next generation Wrangler would have (are you sitting down?) IFS. The change would be done in the name of fuel economy; IFS is lighter than a solid axle. Were already in an environment where its a challenge to produce a vehicle in that way, and its going to get harder, Manley said of the solid-axle Wrangler. What I can tell you is that the vehicle is absolutely fundamental to our DNA, and its going to become progressively harder to make sure that the vehicle meets all of the standards that are required for it. AN says the change, if it happens, will come when the Wrangler is revised for 2016. However, we have more background information than our colleagues at AN, and we bet it wont be as bad as what they inferred.
__________________
Mike | KSMP |
1997 fzj80 1976 FJ40 | TLCA # 20038
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-03-2014, 09:30 AM
J Kimmel J Kimmel is online now
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 906
Default

I read that too.

sounds like no doubt it will remain solid axle for the foreseeable future
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 AM
ScaldedDog's Avatar
ScaldedDog ScaldedDog is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simps80 View Post
What I can tell you is that the vehicle is absolutely fundamental to our DNA, and its going to become progressively harder to make sure that the vehicle meets all of the standards that are required for it.
More CAFE nonsense.

Mark
__________________
''Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools,
because they have to say something.'' - Plato

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 AM
MtnAddict's Avatar
MtnAddict MtnAddict is offline
Wincher
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 43
Default

Bummer Randy, I loved that thing. Kristy will be sad to hear this...

Kristy wheeling Meanie in Moab a few years ago:

__________________
Josh: TLCA# 19896
2002 UZJ100 | 1972 FJ40
Co-Director: HIH
3rd Annual 100s in the Hills Trip Report
100s In the Hills on Facebook
www.100sInTheHills.com
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Air Randy's Avatar
Air Randy Air Randy is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Franktown, CO
Posts: 2,804
Default

Yep, the Meanie made it easy for anyone to do almost any obstacle.
__________________
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-12-2014, 09:01 PM
nakman's Avatar
nakman nakman is offline
Rising Sun Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: north side
Posts: 9,885
Default

Now you can buy it back for $22k. http://www.autotraderclassics.com/cl...ationId=107221
__________________
99 uzj100, 05 525EXC

www.gamiviti.com

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.