Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I've considered building a Compressor "shed" outside on the back wall to house it. Save me the floor space and the noise. My neighbor may not be impressed however

Insulation goes a long way to keeping happy neighbors. It's a good fences kinda thing.

Unless of course you wanna make em mad.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 12-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

I got this one (or something pretty close to it) in the last couple of years after my cheap, old compressor finally died.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...FfJxOgodNiQA4g

I picked it up at Murdoch's when they were having a sale - I think it was just under $400 with the sale. Decent machine, runs relatively quietly, and does most everything previously mentioned for the 120v machines. I think all these 120v compressors that have been mentioned are similar in spec and capacity, and seem to be around $400 at the cheapest. I'm not sure there is really much of a difference unless you can increase the budget and spend $700 or more for an American made product or a 240v compressor.

One thing I've noticed is that running one of these machines on a standard 15A breaker tends to trip the fuse fairly often unless I am very careful about what else is running on the circuit. I'd like to upgrade that breaker on the panel to 20 or 25A, but it's a project for another time. For now, it just pisses me off when it happens.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
One thing I've noticed is that running one of these machines on a standard 15A breaker tends to trip the fuse fairly often unless I am very careful about what else is running on the circuit. I'd like to upgrade that breaker on the panel to 20 or 25A, but it's a project for another time. For now, it just pisses me off when it happens.

just be careful upsizing a breaker. You gotta make sure it's the right wire size to handle a 20amp+. Otherwise it's like putting a bigger fuse in your cruiser just cause your headlight keeps popping.

I think I'm going to put in a dedicated circuit for my compressor.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 01-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
60 gal, 5 horse, upright, 220v, oil-type. $479 at Home Depot type places. You can't outrun this compressor unless you do a lot of sandblasting (without stopping) or use a giant impact wrench on 8-lug trucks as fast as you can. I have had mine almost 20 years (a Coleman) - never done anything except drain water out of it. I have used it extensively in that time, although as a hobbiest. Oil type are quieter than oilless and uprights take up less room. 220v start quickly/briskly and after it's wired, you have an welder outlet you can use if you don't feel like adding another 220v outlet.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powermate...6056/202636579
Lots of good advice here already. My .02 is get the largest 220V unit you have space for and fits your budget. For most folks the Home Depot/Lowes units are everything you will ever need. No need to spend the bucks on the high end professional style units unless you are going to be using it daily for HD business use. Stay away from the oil-less 120V units unless you need a really portable unit that will only get occasional use. They work OK but are very noisy, will wear out much sooner than an oiled compressor, and you will get tired of resetting the breaker.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 AM

Question for folks with the big (10+ gallon) compressors. I have a little Makita 2.6 gallon oiled compressor. I drain the air off it after each use because the manual and several friends have told me this is a good idea.

So, folks with the big units: How often do you drain the air? And how long does it take?
KEITH
Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks guys. I'm leaning toward this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2355_200612355 or something similar. 12.8 CFM @ 90 PSI should do all I would ask it to do. Seems like the high end of the home user type compressor. More expensive than a HomeDepot but I like "made in USA". I need to check Big R locally. Seem to remember walking by something there domestically produced.

Now to go build some more barriers to fund this.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Question for folks with the big (10+ gallon) compressors. I have a little Makita 2.6 gallon oiled compressor. I drain the air off it after each use because the manual and several friends have told me this is a good idea.

So, folks with the big units: How often do you drain the air? And how long does it take?
I drain the water out of the tank once or twice a year. Its so dry in Colo. I rarely get more than a few drops. I do run an inline separator and regulator too. This is a good item to have so you can fill the tank to maximum capacity/pressure but keep the line pressure to around 90 psi. I always leave my compressor aired up but I use it frequently too.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

For under a grand and already being wired up for 220v in the garage I'd be looking at a Quincy or Ingersol Rand with a vertical tank. Longer hoses are easier to mess with than a portable tank IMHO.

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

Is there a "most common"
220v receptacle for air compressors,
I know that's a loaded question but I have an electrician coming out to do a bunch of work I was going to have him add a 220 for my welder while he is here
and also a 220 for an air compressro that I have yet to buy.
????

most installation manuals that I can find for various 220/230 compressors call for a 15 amp like this:
-- ---
o

but then some like the quincy above that Corbet mentions (manual here: http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...uals/39564.pdf )
don't even specify
so maybe the only answer is buy the compressor I want then wire up the plug after,
I'm trying to put the cart before the horse here, since the cart (the electrician) will be on premise anyway and the horse has yet to arrive.

let me know if anyone has any other ideas other than buying the desired compressor first

Last edited by simps80; 05-01-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Rising Sun member

One of your links doesn't work Mike. I'd say putting the circuit in first is like buying the horse first. You could just have him rough-wire it to a 240V junction box and buy the actual outlet later.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD