Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Off roading suggestions for a visitor to Colorado

My family may be visiting my wifes brother in Westminster (Denver) for a week in May...

Wanting suggestions to some fun offroading adventures for the family (4 kids under 10) and recommendations on what I need as far as permits etc in CO as a visitor to ride trails in my Truck..

I own a basically stock 98 100 series.. I have some 285s on her and upgraded shocks but that is it.. I even have stock running boards

I am mostly interested in small challenges as I will most likely be a love vehicle and not much offroading experience in it.. I am currently perusing your Cascade Creek Furlough thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=20350) and it is pretty much exactly what I want... MN is flatter than Kate Moss so anything with great Views and fun trails for a day would be welcomed for suggestions.. heck even if there are some guys going out for the day around those dates (I will visit thread often with better dates) I would love to tag along and learn...

thanks and Hi
Old 01-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Lifted

You'll probably have better luck with The Gulches (Hackett, Longwater, Metberry, Illinois) as they get more sun than the higher mountain stuff. April/May is when we all head to Moab to get in some dry runs. You still may be able to tiptoe into SOME of the higher mountain trails. As far as permits and stuff, just bring your driver's license and registration. I'm sure the club will be doing some runs by then.

Also, this may be helpful:
www.traildamage.com

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 01-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Rock Stacker

order of expectations:

1. Great Views (picture worthy and fun for families)
2. A days adventure around Denver (ie leave am come back pm)
3. At least some 4L required.. Id like some challenge but not to a point of getting stuck in the middle of nowhere
4. Rough Terrain ok (stock 100 series with 285's)
5. FUN FUN FUN

not asking too much am I? haha

I have now spent 3hrs looking at both the stay the trail site and Traildamage.com comparing the write ups, ratings and locations... wow.. you guys have a lot to enjoy down there.. we have....... Lakes
Old 01-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Lifted

In May it still depends on how much snow is where. If you don't mind not being able to complete some trails, you may be able to get through at least some of some of the higher ones. A lot of stuff doesn't start opening until June-ish, but there will DEFINITELY be some stuff to check out. China Wall and The Gulches are open year round. There will probably be some snow patches and stuff, but that's part of the fun. That time of year is when this page will start being updated:
http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

^ is updated by the public as people start filtering onto the trails, so keep your eye on that too. You'll be playing it by ear, just like we are.

- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 01-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Rock Stacker

NIce.. thanks again..

I dont mind snow.. Im from Minnesota hahha just played in 1-2ft of snow in my yard (80 acres....) its the not knowing whats under it thats the problem haha
Old 01-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Lifted

Come dabble in May, and then come back in August! That's the best time to catch the full glory of Colorado.

1999 UZJ100
Old 01-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wait till about a week out and then look at snow levels and ask again.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Rising Sun member

The problem with spring snow is it's hard, but variable when the sun is on it. It can turn to slush and then re-compact back into ice and/or icy concrete and get you stuck.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Rock Stacker

Id settle for anything TBH... dont need scary stuff.. just scenic... be fun to drive on anything other than salted FLAT roads...

I have to resort to playing in my backyard hahaha we do have one place 4 hrs North, Gilbert Offroad but we only go up for skiing and this year they had at least 2ft of snow... couldnt go anywhere in there....
Old 01-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Rising Sun member

Slaughterhouse Gulch is usually a good bet. Boreas Pass might be open too that time of year, not sure
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD