Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Slaughterhouse Gulch is usually a good bet. Boreas Pass might be open too that time of year, not sure
I have a stock 100...

first paragraph on TrailDamage.com

This is a great trail if you're looking for a lot of flex. The "whoopdeedoos" (dirt moguls that twist your suspension) found through the entire trail are challenging to a stock vehicle, especially if you have a sway bar that is not disconnected.

and Boreas Pass

This scenic and mellow trail connects Breckenridge and Como, effectively connecting I-70 and Highway 285. It is a very easy trail not requiring 4-wheel drive or high clearance at any point. A passenger car could do this trail slowly without any issues. The section of trail from Breckenridge to the pass is a bit rougher and less well-maintained than the section from the pass to Como.

Kinda aiming for something in between the 2 of these things hahah
Old 01-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

go and buy Charles Wells book on Colorado Trails, that'll give you lots of reading on trails based on whatever area you're looking for
Old 01-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
go and buy Charles Wells book on Colorado Trails, that'll give you lots of reading on trails based on whatever area you're looking for
just did from Amazon.. $4 shipped haha
Old 01-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWNUNDR View Post
I have a stock 100...

first paragraph on TrailDamage.com

This is a great trail if you're looking for a lot of flex. The "whoopdeedoos" (dirt moguls that twist your suspension) found through the entire trail are challenging to a stock vehicle, especially if you have a sway bar that is not disconnected.

and Boreas Pass

This scenic and mellow trail connects Breckenridge and Como, effectively connecting I-70 and Highway 285. It is a very easy trail not requiring 4-wheel drive or high clearance at any point. A passenger car could do this trail slowly without any issues. The section of trail from Breckenridge to the pass is a bit rougher and less well-maintained than the section from the pass to Como.

Kinda aiming for something in between the 2 of these things hahah

If you're somewhat experienced with wheel placement then you can get through the whoops no problem. Does your 100 have atrac? Even better

Just trying to think of what won't be closed due to snow. Rampart range and Dakan roads will probably be open if they aren't closed due to mud
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Rising Sun Commander

'98 = no Atrac Matt, but very likely has a round dial, even better.

Argentine Pass is likely perfect for what you're looking for... but as many have said there's no telling what kind of snow will still be there. I know you said you don't mind snow but we're talking 6-10' drifts that completely cover the road. Every year, on every trail, someone will bust through most and shovel out some of the drifts on every single mountain trail... May is early for that, it's usually more like June. But who knows what this year will bring.

Be sure to post up when your plans get closer!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
'98 = no Atrac Matt, but very likely has a round dial, even better.

Argentine Pass is likely perfect for what you're looking for... but as many have said there's no telling what kind of snow will still be there. I know you said you don't mind snow but we're talking 6-10' drifts that completely cover the road. Every year, on every trail, someone will bust through most and shovel out some of the drifts on every single mountain trail... May is early for that, it's usually more like June. But who knows what this year will bring.

Be sure to post up when your plans get closer!
yep 98.. the reason I flew from MN to TX to buy it was it was white, had rear and center locker factory, was $4000 cheaper than everything else I found and less miles....

cool.. yeah I dont mind snow.. not into walls of it hahaha... Ill read that book that was suggested.. I'll keep researching and watching everyones suggestions... who knows.. maybe I can meet up with a crew if any of you decide on a day trip somewhere.. safety in numbers especially if those numbers have experience.. me not so much.. I had a Diahatsu Rocky diesel about 16 years ago and only for about 12mths.. so limited on real experience... adn living in MN doesnt inspire many outings.. haha

thanks again for all input so far... will be watching till the day I arrive