Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

12+ years in, I have seen the club as having something for everyone but not everything for all. There are former members I still wheel with and current members I have yet to get to know. Mostly I wish I could get to know everyone better because its an amazingly diverse and interesting group of loyal and caring people.

I agree it all ebbs and flows. We all get along, and within a few basic guidelines everyone gets to put in and get out of it what they want.

Critical I think to the success of this organization, is there is no "The Club". We are all the club.

Ideas come up, interest determined, sometimes things happen, sometimes not. And, its all good.

The basic structure - all your points except #2 (brand new that night) and #7 (I'm not married so more wives will bring more single friends ) - and the Bylaws - provide the foundation and the rest is all what we create.

Welcome aboard if it works as I think its a great group and you could not go wrong in joining, and thanks for checking it out if it turns out not to be the right fit for you. Come on a few events and bring the family if you can before you decide.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

while there are four or five women who are or have been involved, i almost never see wives wheeling except for dee.

see you again at the state meeting
ige tlca #1431
Old 01-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Welcome Ray, would love to see pics of your crawler and Taco! I think the Taco is a great platform for comfort on the highway and functional for just about every trail you want to do, a side from extreme rock crawling. They are super durable and I bet you will have years of great exploration in it.

Are you planning to add an off road camper top? Lift? I had a FJCruiser and 4th Gen 4runner. They share similar parts with your Taco. If you ever have any questions about lift kits, skid plates, bumper options, I would be happy to offer options for you to consider.

One of my dream rigs is an extended cab Taco with a camper top, 33s and moderate lift.

I keep trying to convince my 7 year old son, that a Taco should be his future rig and he replies with "no dad, I want a 40 or your Land Cruiser" So maybe a Taco is in my future someday..

Look forward to hearing your stories about your experiences over the years.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 01-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yes, thanks again for coming out, and for being an active participant!

For the record my wife loves camping, would rather be hiking or biking than wheeling will tolerate moderate wheeling, particularly if it leads to camping or hiking or biking... but yes really doesn't want to go to a meeting to talk about it. She doesn't like narrow shelf roads either, or snow runs where you wait a long time while someone's getting unstuck. she did drive on the inaugural Ladies in 80's run though!

One thing that hasn't been stated here is a lot of us active members also have small to mid-sized kids- don't know the percentage, but it's a lot. So mom's at home with the kids on Wednesday while dad gets his one guy night. Just looking around the room last night, I know that was true for at least 10 of us.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I haven't been involved lately, so my frame of reference is old. It became clear to me I was way beyond my means after the 2008 Rubithon run. Kirsten didn't have a good time at all, I spent a lot of money prepping the truck and spent more fixing it. Just not my cup of tea. I should also admit that my tolerance for 'hard' has been slipping. I just don't really much care to chase some never achievable goal, we've been having more fun poking around back roads in an almost completely back-to-stock truck just like we did 15 years ago when we first bought Imelda with her 225/75R15 Bridgestone Duelers and bench seat. This is I think the fundamental similarity, it's about seeing new places, spending time together and not tackling problems. The runs you list are fine but we've done them a dozen times. Ho-hum. And God forbid, we shut off the engine and hike and ride the bikes a whole lot more now.
I mean, I totally get that. My wife hates wheeling and I think breaking down on the trail is very stressful. Honestly, I didn't go on that rubithon trip simply because I knew that while my truck might do fine, if it had any trouble at all, all of the SA rigs from other clubs would be up my ass and cussing at me for bringing an IFS rig on the Con. I want to do the Con someday, but with a small group of friends and not during any kind of event.

And, while I always enjoy working on problems and fixing other people's trucks, when my truck started breaking on the trail, I kinda quit wheeling it because it was stressful, and since I was wheeling a modified IFS truck, I hated being on the trail broken and having other clubs drive by and ridicule the "stupid ass with the IFS". This club has been super supportive and great, and there aren't any issues, but I found most other clubs, including toyota clubs, to be very discouraging and made breaking way worse than it should have been.

On the other side of the coin, one of the best trips I had was in carnage with UB solo, and we had a huge adventure getting WR fixed and out of there. But, it wasn't stressful because all we had to do was get it back to the trailer. If your rig is a DD, its a whole different ball game.

I think that your direction is very common Dave. I mean, we have entire sub structures of the club, some folks who are totally into HAM, some who are totally into Dirt Bikes, and some who want to build trailers, and expo type stuff. I agree, I don't really dig doing some of those trails because they are popular, familiar, and they end up being a parking lot many times.

I like building trucks a lot. Its fun for me. But I also like camping and biking, so I've scaled back a bit right now, so I don't burn a whole year in the garage building (School also puts a strain on the financials).

So, I think we have a lot of different folks now, from new to experienced, and as others have pointed out, it ebbs and flows.

But I think there is also a lot more here on the level you like, just back roads with some camping gear and going hiking, than when you went to rubicon.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

As for ladies runs, my wife won't even drive my truck on the street, let alone a trail, so yeah, again, out.

Honestly, I like that, as it give me some "me" time. All personal preference I guess.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

I can put most anyone in my truck and they can run whatever trail. That includes my wife. She hates it though. So she comes along to Moab or wherever if its a long trip, and occupies herself with other things. She's unfortunately not interested in trails of any kind.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
One thing that hasn't been stated here is a lot of us active members also have small to mid-sized kids- don't know the percentage, but it's a lot. So mom's at home with the kids on Wednesday while dad gets his one guy night. Just looking around the room last night, I know that was true for at least 10 of us.
That's a good point, my wife and daughter were home hitting the homework last night while I was at the meeting, I expect that will be true for most of the meetings I will attend.

Both of them have really enjoyed the events they have been to and felt very much a part of the action and are eager for more. If this was not a family oriented club I probably wouldn't be making time for it. The open and welcoming atmosphere is what will keep us coming back.
My 11 yr old really enjoys both trail time and the whole outdoor experience, she is very eager to drive and I'll be getting her started very soon (in very wide open spaces).

My wife likes to drive moderate terrain and enjoys the technical stuff as a passenger, observer, spotter, or photographer. Lookout for this driver on a trail near you:
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, GYDT285/75-16, Locked, WKOR sliders, TC UCAs/ Iron Man T-bars, OME866, D/T headers/Magnaflow, Columbus RTT, Drawers n'stuff.
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/trail truck, Icon/TC mid trav front, GYDT265/75-16C, Budbuilt Skids

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 01-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray 2014 View Post
so many women involved at meetings, runs and events it was odd to so only IGY ( spelling ) at the meeting...why no women ? are your wives afraid to show up since no other women do ?..
There was a whole row of girls behind you.. Starbuck sipping and gossiping. They even have girlie rigs too.
TLCA#4180
Old 01-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
There was a whole row of girls behind you.. Starbuck sipping and gossiping. They even have girlie rigs too.
hey just cause my mini-van is purple doesn't make it girlie

oh wait..you're talking about all your 100's huh ? :ducks:for:cover: