Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Yes, thanks again for coming out, and for being an active participant!

For the record my wife loves camping, would rather be hiking or biking than wheeling will tolerate moderate wheeling, particularly if it leads to camping or hiking or biking... but yes really doesn't want to go to a meeting to talk about it. She doesn't like narrow shelf roads either, or snow runs where you wait a long time while someone's getting unstuck. she did drive on the inaugural Ladies in 80's run though!

One thing that hasn't been stated here is a lot of us active members also have small to mid-sized kids- don't know the percentage, but it's a lot. So mom's at home with the kids on Wednesday while dad gets his one guy night. Just looking around the room last night, I know that was true for at least 10 of us.
This pretty much describes our family to a tee. My wife has a real fear of shelf roads. Ouray to Silverton on 550 is enough to make her tear up. She comes often enough on wheeling runs that we're all happy. She'll even drive the very mild stuff, but once she reaches her limit, I don't push her to try more. I want this to be enjoyable for her. My kids will go anywhere with me though.

That being said, she would have zero desire to attend a Club meeting on a Wednesday night. It really has become my night out with the guys and that's good for both of us. Plus like Nakman said, we have young kids at home and it's mid-week. Dinner, bed, school in the morning. That's the routine.

All are always welcome on our runs. Some runs tend to be more "family friendly" than others though. That's just the nature of the location, difficulty, date and time spent on the trail.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 01-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Welcome Ray, would love to see pics of your crawler and Taco! I think the Taco is a great platform for comfort on the highway and functional for just about every trail you want to do, a side from extreme rock crawling. They are super durable and I bet you will have years of great exploration in it.

Are you planning to add an off road camper top? Lift? I had a FJCruiser and 4th Gen 4runner. They share similar parts with your Taco. If you ever have any questions about lift kits, skid plates, bumper options, I would be happy to offer options for you to consider.

One of my dream rigs is an extended cab Taco with a camper top, 33s and moderate lift.

I keep trying to convince my 7 year old son, that a Taco should be his future rig and he replies with "no dad, I want a 40 or your Land Cruiser" So maybe a Taco is in my future someday..

Look forward to hearing your stories about your experiences over the years.
Yes, my plan is...3" lift on 33" MK2 rubber, front and rear Aluminum bumpers, winch, front locker, rock guards, skid plate the underside, gas tank..etc.. AND a Four Wheel cab over camper with a queen bed, heater, table..etc..will be small but warm and off the ground...this will be for scenic Utah canyon land trips and easy trails in Colorado.

Question.. can I put an Electric locker in the front, or does it need to be ARB. And with 33" tires, 6 speed manual will I need to change out the Ring and Pinion to a 4?? gearing
Old 01-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray 2014 View Post
Yes, my plan is...3" lift on 33" MK2 rubber, front and rear Aluminum bumpers, winch, front locker, rock guards, skid plate the underside, gas tank..etc.. AND a Four Wheel cab over camper with a queen bed, heater, table..etc..will be small but warm and off the ground...this will be for scenic Utah canyon land trips and easy trails in Colorado.

Question.. can I put an Electric locker in the front, or does it need to be ARB. And with 33" tires, 6 speed manual will I need to change out the Ring and Pinion to a 4?? gearing
Ray, that sounds like a sound build plan so far. I'll keep an eye out for you around town as that will be a head turner soon. IIRC there are not any electrics currently on the market but TJM also offers an ARB style air locker that seems to be gaining in popularity as another option. Not sure about gearing on your '09 Taco. I know there is no way my 1st gen taco 2.7L would escape it's own shadow with out gears and tires over 32" but you may get away with it with the manual.
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, GYDT285/75-16, Locked, WKOR sliders, TC UCAs/ Iron Man T-bars, OME866, D/T headers/Magnaflow, Columbus RTT, Drawers n'stuff.
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/trail truck, Icon/TC mid trav front, GYDT265/75-16C, Budbuilt Skids

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 01-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

No electric lockers, it'll have to be air or mechanical.

With the camper, and the tires/lift, I'd either regear or supercharge. I think you'll notice the weight a lot.

My dad has a lifted 04 tacoma (3.4L) extra cab with 32's arb front bumper with 8k winch, and a custom steel rear bumper, and a 4 wheel camper. We supercharged it and it does pretty well with stock 4.1's. It would be better with something a little deeper, especially on the steeper passes.

But, you made a good choice on the camper. I can't say enough good things about the 4wc's, they are really nice. We were cozy warm in it hunting last year and it got down to -5 or so every night, so it worked very well.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

No longer a member now that I'm down in Durango. But my wife aways enjoyed attending club runs but never a meeting. It was guys night for me personally. I can only recall one run I went on that did not have women drivers or wires attending. But it was only 4 trucks.

Attend a few events and I think you'll see the entire group as a whole. Most of the time its families enjoying the outdoors together.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Eaton has some nice E Locker options. I don't think that have an E Locker for anything newer than 04 Taco's, but I bet it's coming soon.
http://www.differentials.com/uncateg.../eaton-elocker

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 01-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Similar to Nakman and Fishy, my wife doesn't really enjoy wheeling. Anything hard core just stresses her out, and she hates shelf roads. However, she does very much like the guys in the club as well as the wives and girlfriends she's met. She's always glad to attend the parties and picnics.

We used to do a family camping run called the "Ghost Town Run" that involved exploring old ghost towns with easy/moderate wheeling. The nice thing about that run was there were many women and kids on the run. In more recent years, I've missed some of the family camping runs because we have so many summertime kid activities like swim team.

Our kids are 10 and 12, so our monthly meeting nights are an opportunity for me to see friends and enjoy a cold beverage. I've been a member 14 years, and I don't think she has ever attended a meeting. She would be bored anyway.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

We used to do a family camping run called the "Ghost Town Run" that involved exploring old ghost towns with easy/moderate wheeling. The nice thing about that run was there were many women and kids on the run. In more recent years, I've missed some of the family camping runs because we have so many summertime kid activities like swim team.
I wouldn't mind seeing a ghost town run and some more family runs presented. It would not only be a good opportunity for the family to get out, but for some on trail learning as well
Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
Eaton has some nice E Locker options. I don't think that have an E Locker for anything newer than 04 Taco's, but I bet it's coming soon.
http://www.differentials.com/uncateg.../eaton-elocker
Stan, they don't have an elocker for any Toyotas, especially for the fronts. I'm not even sure if they offer the detroit in front, though, they may. If you want selectable, either ARB, or one of the other, newer air locker brands is going to be your options.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Eaton only makes Detroit Lockers and Trutracs for Toyota axles, nothing in their e-locker AFAIK. ARB Air Lockers is really the best way to go for the front on IFS trucks, it's proven and is the best way to prevent blowing CV joints.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler