Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Dave, the Rubicon was very technical, glad I did it, but I am more into the less technical more expedition wheeling. The club has been doing a lot more of that lately with the Maze runs, the outlaw runs. You might enjoy those. Ouray doesn't need a built truck nor does a lot of Moab.

There are those in the club who like to go Rock crawling and a lot that like to go drive a trail and some in the middle. You should join us for a run this summer. The Rubicon was hard and I can see how that might have left you wanting less.

My wife's idea of camping is the Hilton. Fortunately, Rachel and Sarah like to go with me. Now that Sarah has graduated college, she maybe at this years Cruise Moab for the first time in 4 or 5 years. We did make a Moab run last year just for fun.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Stan, they don't have an elocker for any Toyotas, especially for the fronts. I'm not even sure if they offer the detroit in front, though, they may. If you want selectable, either ARB, or one of the other, newer air locker brands is going to be your options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Eaton only makes Detroit Lockers and Trutracs for Toyota axles, nothing in their e-locker AFAIK. ARB Air Lockers is really the best way to go for the front on IFS trucks, it's proven and is the best way to prevent blowing CV joints.
Harrop/Eaton to be more specific.
http://www.harrop.com.au/4wd.php

Pretty sure ACC had a few for the 80/100 Series.. Just a matter of time before someone in the U.S. is selling them full-time.

I put a TJM Pro Locker in the front of my 100 and have been happy with it. If the E Locker was available at the time, I would have considered it.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 01-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
Harrop/Eaton to be more specific.
http://www.harrop.com.au/4wd.php

Pretty sure ACC had a few for the 80/100 Series.. Just a matter of time before someone in the U.S. is selling them full-time.

I put a TJM Pro Locker in the front of my 100 and have been happy with it. If the E Locker was available at the time, I would have considered it.
Sweet! Now I've got to figure out if they used the same front diffs in the Hiluxs as they did the US spec trucks. That may be the ticket for my front end someday!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

That is cool. I had a love/hate with my Air Lockers, never could get them to stop leaking.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

See, I never had a leak issue once on my Air lockers. Hard to say.

Generation Dead
Old 01-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

I just sent an email to those guys in Australia. I don't know if they will reply, but I asked them for specs on the hilux IFS front e lockers, and how they compare to the US spec stuff. I'll keep you all posted.

Generation Dead
Old 01-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Ray, I think your Taco might have 3.73 gear ratio. But I could be wrong. 3.73 was/is the FJC and 4th gen 4runner gearing. I would try it with 33s first before you spend the money. I ran 35s on my FJC for a while but mostly ran 33s and I did not do the gear swap before I sold it.

If you have 4.11s than I would suspect running 33s you would be ok. At least until your power train warranty expires.

Also curious if your Taco has Atrac? If so is it full time or part time with a button. I think you will find that for moderate wheeling, even occasional aggressive wheeling, Atrac will get you through with flying colors and really surprise you.

It will sound like bending metal when it is working on a feature (obstacle). If you left foot brake, on features that voids Atrac. Steady but mild acceleration through features will engage Atrac (if full time). ATRAC is a traction control Toyota introduced in 2000 in many 4x4s to replace lockers.

The best combo, in my opinion is Atrac and a rear locker. It makes the vehicle damb near able to climb a tree. You can find used rear e-locker set ups from FJC's that might have been wrecked in a crash. I think you have all the prewiring for that already installed.

Also you might want to consider an aftermarket upper control arm when you lift your Taco. Light racing (SPC) makes the best one, imo, and they are local Colorado. Adding these will allow you to get your factory alingment specs back in place and really makes the handling feel more stock.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 01-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I just sent an email to those guys in Australia. I don't know if they will reply, but I asked them for specs on the hilux IFS front e lockers, and how they compare to the US spec stuff. I'll keep you all posted.
I know folks have emailed and always gotten a response. I'm interested to hear what they have to say as well.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 01-10-2014, 10:26 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Thanks for the great input, Ray. I think you will find lots more women on the trail and the social events than at the meetings. I don't know why that is, but it makes us really appreciate Iggy! You will find that most of those involved in the club right now are happy to wheel moderately, and there are also a lot who enjoy the wrenching as much as anything else. There are only a few members currently who build their trucks way up and run the gnarly stuff. (They are, of course, our heros!) Either way, I hope you come out to play with us soon. I'm sure you can find the right fit for how you want to wheel, cause we have the whole spectrum represented.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 01-11-2014, 05:54 AM
Wincher

Default Atrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Ray, I think your Taco might have 3.73 gear ratio. But I could be wrong. 3.73 was/is the FJC and 4th gen 4runner gearing. I would try it with 33s first before you spend the money. I ran 35s on my FJC for a while but mostly ran 33s and I did not do the gear swap before I sold it.

If you have 4.11s than I would suspect running 33s you would be ok. At least until your power train warranty expires.

Also curious if your Taco has Atrac? If so is it full time or part time with a button. I think you will find that for moderate wheeling, even occasional aggressive wheeling, Atrac will get you through with flying colors and really surprise you.

It will sound like bending metal when it is working on a feature (obstacle). If you left foot brake, on features that voids Atrac. Steady but mild acceleration through features will engage Atrac (if full time). ATRAC is a traction control Toyota introduced in 2000 in many 4x4s to replace lockers.
Yes, I have a rear locker
The best combo, in my opinion is Atrac and a rear locker. It makes the vehicle damb near able to climb a tree. You can find used rear e-locker set ups from FJC's that might have been wrecked in a crash. I think you have all the prewiring for that already installed.

Also you might want to consider an aftermarket upper control arm when you lift your Taco. Light racing (SPC) makes the best one, imo, and they are local Colorado. Adding these will allow you to get your factory alingment specs back in place and really makes the handling feel more stock.
Chris, you answered ( with out me asking ) one of my questions, ATRAC..Yes my Taco has it, I read the manual on it and was still confused on what this button was. I now might play with the ATRAC system in 2014 on some trails to test it out. I will have to inform my spotter ( jeep guy ) if he hears a strange noise as I go threw a difficult spot in the front end not to stop me, it's the ABS..ATRAC doing it's job....

Last edited by Ray 2014; 01-11-2014 at 05:56 AM. Reason: added the last sentence..I have a locker