Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr350jja View Post
But to stay on 'top' of the snow, wouldn't it require floatation type tires? I can't picture skinny tires being on top of the snow.
My dad lead the run last weekend with his 40. He is running 33x10.5 BFG ATs and only once did he need a strap or a winch (he could have driven out of that as well but we opted for a winch just to be safe).
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-05-2014, 05:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Is this a stocker-friendly trail in the summertime? Obviously different this time of year, but just curious...
Old 01-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmontgo View Post
Is this a stocker-friendly trail in the summertime? Obviously different this time of year, but just curious...
Yes

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 01-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'll be ready with the new MTR's
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 01-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

No 40?
Old 01-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
No 40?

Doubt it. Haven't even looked at it since deciding to go for this promotion.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 01-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Chains do exactly what they are designed to do, provide traction on icy or slick surfaces. That's all good if the snow will support the weight of your vehicle or it's shallow enough to keep you from getting high centered on packed snow. When busting drifts chains will get you very stuck very early on as they will destroy what ever crust in on the drift. Barefoot (no chains) and very low air pressure will make any tire (other than bald) float on most deep snow until forward progress is stopped. The true key is to not spin your tires after you stop forward progress and in fact most of the time if you let the snow gently stop you when you realize your not going to make it and reverse at the point of stopping you will most often back right back off for another try. If you spin after your stopped you will need a strap or some other way of resembling "soap on a rope."
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr350jja View Post
But to stay on 'top' of the snow, wouldn't it require floatation type tires? I can't picture skinny tires being on top of the snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Chains do exactly what they are designed to do, provide traction on icy or slick surfaces. That's all good if the snow will support the weight of your vehicle or it's shallow enough to keep you from getting high centered on packed snow. When busting drifts chains will get you very stuck very early on as they will destroy what ever crust in on the drift. Barefoot (no chains) and very low air pressure will make any tire (other than bald) float on most deep snow until forward progress is stopped. The true key is to not spin your tires after you stop forward progress and in fact most of the time if you let the snow gently stop you when you realize your not going to make it and reverse at the point of stopping you will most often back right back off for another try. If you spin after your stopped you will need a strap or some other way of resembling "soap on a rope."
UB hit this pretty well. But you are correct, skinny tires just don't go that well in the snow. I ran 33x9.50's for many years and I had to chain up when the snow was more shallow, when fat tired rigs rode on top. You don't need flotation tires, just a wide enough tire for your vehicles weight. For most toyotas, a 12.5 tire at 5 lbs of pressure will work pretty well.

If the snow is shallow enough, chains are awesome. You dig down to the very bottom layer, get tractions and ZOOM! you are outta there. But, if the snow is deep enough that you can hit the frame, or sometimes even just over the axles, chains just dig you down that much faster.

The key to snow wheeling is keeping the vehicle high enough to avoid "plowing". Once you are "plowing" the only thing that will get you through is enough momentum to bust through. If the drift is long enough, you often can't get going fast enough to push through.

I'm really looking at these, or some variation thereof, as a really fun addition to snow wheeling:

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
I'll be ready with the new MTR's
These are good on snow runs. I ran those in a 32 a few years ago, and had lots o traction.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Wincher

Wish I could. I have had fun in past years. I'll be out of town working.