Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Notices

Old 01-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Sold

Sold!

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 01-27-2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Sold
Old 01-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Hmm...

This could have been covered before in your other digital radio thread. But does the GM function (digital group monitor) only work for others in the group who have digital radios? Or would it give coordinates to anyone transmitting on frequency, even if they had a cheap HT?

Did you get the camera mic? ever mess with it?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default You gotta!!

Do it!!
Old 01-27-2014, 05:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Group Monitor is a digital feature. The radio embeds GPS data on your signal when you transmit using a digital mode and so any other Yaesu digital radios will know your position. It's similar to APRS but doesn't require a second channel & frequency. So the secondary side of the radio is still available for analog or regular APRS if you wish.

Never got a camera mic. That sucker ain't cheap and seemed a little silly. I dunno, maybe it would be useful.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60 View Post
Do it!!
Shawn are you digital now? what'd you put in the LX anyway?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default I've got an 8800 ready to go in.

I'll prolly put in the 8800 I got from Dave. But my Vx 8GR has all that cool APRS stuff in it. When we were out in WY Kurt and I were texting to eachother and could see our relative distance apart.

I could be convinced to go digital as I'm always the the guy running late and needing to hook up with the rest of the group. That can be accomplished through APRS, too.

I'm bummed it's all proprietary from Kenwood or Yaesu, etc.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

The new Kenwood radios are DMR I thought.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I gotta pass... actually went to HRO today and played with a new one, and just couldn't see why I'd use that fancy thing. I also struggle with where to put the faceplate.. it doesn't look like it'll fit down where I've got the other one crammed. Alas, I too may have to be a late adopter on this technology.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-29-2014, 05:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Trust me, that touch screen is the future of radio. I thought long and hard about keeping it and selling the FTM-350, especially now that programming is figured out. I have all these custom cables running inside of places and in the headliner that I would have to pull out and make new, so I decided to just cash out and maybe get another one down the road. But that much I know that the next dual band APRS-capable radio I buy will be a FTM-400 again. It is soooo nice to use.

The ability to program the memories on the SD card alone makes it head-and-shoulders better than anything out there, no more dragging laptops and cables all over the place, you pop out the SD card, fire up your software (I was doing it with a simple command line scripting program but RT Systems I think is coming out with a proper GUI) and put the card back into the radio. No holding 3 buttons to get into clone mode or any of that nonsense.

Last time I was over at HRO they also didn't have all the screens enabled since I don't think APRS or data were turned on. IIRC there were only a couple of screen available on the display unit. Both the FTM-350 and FTM-400 really get cool when you start using the GPS and APRS stuff.

I had the faceplate on a little mount to the right of the climate controls. I still have the mount I made for it, I should put it together and snap a picture. It worked well except being right there I tended to constantly tinker with it and it did wash out a little in direct sun from the side. I have my FTM-350 face mounted high and above the rear view mirror, which is easier to see but harder to operate.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Rising Sun Commander

so who bought it?

www.gamiviti.com