Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-31-2014, 09:14 PM

Default FJ40 Fiberglass Cap Restoration

Guys-
I'm about to dig into restoring my 40, I've put it off long enough. I'm curious if anyone has restored the cap to their 40? I know Matt did it a while ago but he said in the end he wasn't too excited with the results. I went to Calibre Boat Repair to get a quot on re gel-coating the roof, they said probably $1200. That seems high so I asked just about painting and they said $600. Does that seem like a fair price? Will paint hold up well? The PO on my 40 painted the top the wrong color and it's already faded/chipping. Any other places should I try? Should I knuckle up and do it myself? What say you?

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Yikes! That sounds crazy! Too bad about Matt not liking his results, I remember reading his write up in Toyota Trails, really good article.

What I did was buy a nicer used one off a fellow Rising Sun member. I don't remember exactly what I paid but it was way less than what you got quoted for painting.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 02-01-2014, 06:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

For those numbers, I'd personally do more research. It can't be that hard if you know what you're doing. Besides, like drywall, I'm pretty sure that "gel coating" is lowest of the trade. In other words, if you know what you're doing any monkey can do it
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 02-01-2014, 07:25 AM
Rising Sun member

Try asking Rocky Mountain cruisers what they would charge to do it. They had a nice looking top in there they were working on last time I was there.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Lifted

Last I checked, RM Cruisers was no more. They temporarily closed to catch up after the move, but their website and FB basically say they're done.

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 02-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

My cap had been painted silver by the PO, and this paint was mildewed and sun damaged. I sanded it heavily, primed it, and painted it in my garage with the correct Toyota white paint - not a base/clear - just a single stage, and it turned out great. I did not even buff the paint. I put on several coats for wear resistance.

Recall that you cannot see most of an FJ40 roof unless you're on a ladder or in a helicopter. If you get the part that you *can* see looking good (the edges down to the rain gutter), the middle doesn't have to be perfect. If you're looking for a show quality job, you will have to work harder at this than I did, but mine looked really nice. White paint is very forgiving, since it reflects a ton of light, so minor flaws just won't show.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Yikes! That sounds crazy! Too bad about Matt not liking his results, I remember reading his write up in Toyota Trails, really good article.

What I did was buy a nicer used one off a fellow Rising Sun member. I don't remember exactly what I paid but it was way less than what you got quoted for painting.
Jeff, that sounds like an option, but I rather just restore mine, it is in great shape minus the poor paint job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
For those numbers, I'd personally do more research. It can't be that hard if you know what you're doing. Besides, like drywall, I'm pretty sure that "gel coating" is lowest of the trade. In other words, if you know what you're doing any monkey can do it
Really? I honestly thought it wasn't as easy as it looks, closer to fiberglassing than painting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Try asking Rocky Mountain cruisers what they would charge to do it. They had a nice looking top in there they were working on last time I was there.
They changed names and I think closed down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisledYouth View Post
Last I checked, RM Cruisers was no more. They temporarily closed to catch up after the move, but their website and FB basically say they're done.
Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
My cap had been painted silver by the PO, and this paint was mildewed and sun damaged. I sanded it heavily, primed it, and painted it in my garage with the correct Toyota white paint - not a base/clear - just a single stage, and it turned out great. I did not even buff the paint. I put on several coats for wear resistance.

Recall that you cannot see most of an FJ40 roof unless you're on a ladder or in a helicopter. If you get the part that you *can* see looking good (the edges down to the rain gutter), the middle doesn't have to be perfect. If you're looking for a show quality job, you will have to work harder at this than I did, but mine looked really nice. White paint is very forgiving, since it reflects a ton of light, so minor flaws just won't show.
That looks good! What brand/type of paint did you use? Did you seal the gutter to the top with sealant? Where did you buy the paint from? Any other details would help!

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 02-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Rising Sun member

Default FJ40 Fiberglass Cap Restoration

I bought my materials from painters supply on Santa Fe. I like the way the exterior turned out except there is a spot that's peeling now. But I think I would have rather not painted it but done a proper gel coat job like factory
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 02-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I bought my materials from painters supply on Santa Fe. I like the way the exterior turned out except there is a spot that's peeling now. But I think I would have rather not painted it but done a proper gel coat job like factory
Matt, does Painters Supply make the individual custom rattle cans of Toyota paint? I have some touch up I need to do on my 60. Sorry for the hijack.

'85 FJ60
Old 02-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Matt, does Painters Supply make the individual custom rattle cans of Toyota paint? I have some touch up I need to do on my 60. Sorry for the hijack.

I dunno. I 'spect so