Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole
Default Shop Recommendation for Electrical Work?

'73 FJ40, SBC, TBI, dual battery

Background: I had the FJ at a collision repair shop to do some work following an incident. I got a call from them as they were wrapping up the repair that they kept blowing fuses (20Amp) and ended up frying the TBI ECU (I paid for a replacement). They couldn't figure out what was going on, so I got it home. Turns out that the voltage regulator in the alternator had gone TU, and they were driving it and running it with over 18 volts being pumped back into the system. It pegged out the volt meter on the dash.

I've replaced the alternator and the battery, but now am seeing only 10 volts back into the system. I suspect that the battery isolator is not performing properly but have not had the time to replace it to see if that's the source of the current issue. Regardless, it's still not running right.

Fast forward to today: I contacted our insurance company that covered the incident and they told me that in order for them to cover it I needed to take it to a shop to have the issue diagnosed and an estimate for repairs. Anyone with a recommendation? It's NOT going back to the collision shop.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

PM sent
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 02-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Was there a shop recommendation?
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 02-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Lifted

Not sure what happened with this, but Chris at The Edge Automotive hooked up my FJ40 electrical stuff. Apparently, Proffitt's left most of the grounds on my vehicle dangling when they deemed it "ready for pickup". Found a few, took it to Chris, who found many more. I still wish there was somebody left at Proffitt's so I could kick their door in and get my 45k back. Anyway, Chris is a great guy. Give him a call if you haven't found someone.

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 02-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I had sent him the info for Brian... He's the guy that is rewiring my 4runner. I can forward his info to anyone that needs it via PM.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 02-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisledYouth View Post
Not sure what happened with this, but Chris at The Edge Automotive hooked up my FJ40 electrical stuff. Apparently, Proffitt's left most of the grounds on my vehicle dangling when they deemed it "ready for pickup". Found a few, took it to Chris, who found many more. I still wish there was somebody left at Proffitt's so I could kick their door in and get my 45k back. Anyway, Chris is a great guy. Give him a call if you haven't found someone.
Thanks Zach! If Brian is unavailable I will give Chris a call.