Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
Beautiful work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Looks good, but I'd stick with the high pile carpet. Totally rad!
Thanks for the kind words. The shop is crazy busy as always and I need to make some time to go through all the photos so I can update this thread further. Hope to be able to before the weeks out.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucker View Post
Thanks. Though the last 3 ARB bumpers that came through my shop all were between 150-165 lbs shipping weight, which didn't include any accessories like lights or winch. And that weight is also what ARB and TransAmerican lists most of their fronts at for shipping. I haven't brought one in for a 1st gen so they might be lighter, though yours isn't a first generation either so who knows? And I would honestly have to check if they make one for the first gens.

We were shooting for around 80 lbs before any accessories. Came in a tad high (13 lbs over) but we are still happy. There may still be a hoop added to the top of the bumper but that depends on the owners tastes. We actually played with a couple different styles (if you follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BruckerBrothersLtd, you would have seen a couple different attempts at fitting some hoops to it) and we couldn't find one that the owner was happy with yet. He for now has taken that off the build sheet, but that honestly seems to be changing everyday.
You could very well be right, I'm using the 'man-calibrated' bathroom scale method. ARB does (or did, no idea if they still do) make a bumper for the 84-88 trucks but not for the 1st gen 4WD 79-83 AFAIK.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 PM
Lifted

Finally found a little more time to go through some more of the photos so I can update this thread.

Bent up and notched the driver's side A pillar/door bar.

Tack welded into position

Before we could move on to the passenger side, we needed to remove the factory grab handle. And since we were dismantling something already we also removed factory rear view mirror. This will be replaced by a more modern unit which features a built in compass and temperature gauge. We will be filling in the holes that will be left of with small sheet metal plates.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Lifted

Passenger side A pillar/door bar bent up and notched, ready for install:

Tack welded into position:

The next piece needed would be the top windshield cross bar. We rolled and then notched a tube to fit. Here it is pictured next to a straight length for reference

Then tack welded the tube into place:

Old 01-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Lifted

Bent up and notched the dash bar

And tack welded that into place:

And then bent, notched and tacked into place the center roof spreader. Again, bent to allow for the most amount of clearance (headroom) possible:

Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Rock Stacker

wow, that is one of the cleanest interior cages i've seen, well done! i dont have any experience building cages, but i'm wondering how strong it is w/o being tied into the frame?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveoffroad View Post
wow, that is one of the cleanest interior cages i've seen, well done! i dont have any experience building cages, but i'm wondering how strong it is w/o being tied into the frame?
Thank you for the kind words. As for being tied into the frame, I just haven't gotten there yet. Heck the cage isn't even fully welded together yet. If you read back (I know, lots to go through) I already went over the cage plan and specs. Here is what I wrote back on the last page in post #74:

Quote:
Time for some cage work. This time around, the client wanted a simple 4 point interior cage. By 4 point, we are referring to the amount of points the cage will be tied into the frame. It will be constructed out of DOM round tubing and tied into the frame using bushings. We will also be tying in the factory roll bar to the new tube work, stiffening the entire chassis. Eventually the plan is to eliminate the factory portions with new DOM throughout and adding 2 to 4 more frame tie in points.
Hope that this helps.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

It's so tightly fitted, I've been wondering if you'll be able to paint it once it's all done.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucker View Post

Hope that this helps.
It does, thank you... looking forward to see how this turns out.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
It's so tightly fitted, I've been wondering if you'll be able to weld it once it's all done.
fixed it for you
82 FJ40