Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 02-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Lifted

Angry The hits keep coming (RANT)

Warning: RANT TO FOLLOW!

In late 2011, I took a bunch of money I'd saved and shipped my 79 FJ40 to Proffitt's in Delta to finally make it look all cool like the pictures I saw back in 2002 when I first bought my truck. After the tow truck left, I tried not to think about it so I didn't get too excited, as I still had to go back across the pond for work for the next 6 months or so. Well, I pick it up later in the summer of 2012, just as Proffitt's really tanked and eventually died off. Blah, blah, blah, lots of unsuccessful wheeling trips, overseas most of the year, not a lot of time at home, I finally got a chance to get some of the bugs (that tend to come with a large build) worked out, being home for a while, and we just keep finding things.

-Rear bumper/dual swingouts had some stress cracks in the metal (repaired) on the tire carrier, and the JERRY CAN holder, does not hold JERRY CANS. Instead, I had to find some that fit. Now I can carry two big, fat square cans, instead of 3- standard Jerry cans. Whatever, I can deal with that.

-Chromoly rear axles not installed with 37's, so I found that out the hard way

-Orion 4:1 still giving me fits (Redline will get that sorted, I'm sure)

-Fuel spitting out the filler and strong vapor engulfing the cab, giving everyone headaches. Fine driving around town. (also Redline)

-Most of the electrical stuff either wasn't grounded, or was very poorly grounded, stuff just tied together or dangling, shorts, etc. We actually had to talk to the owner of Howell, to figure out my ignition wiring. My ENGINE ground was just dangling down the firewall. Come on.

So all of this stuff was before I took it to Redline to get it all worked out. I keep getting calls from Justin about little things. My tie rod was mashing into my frame up front and the shocks were bottoming out. So that's all taken care of. Then Justin noticed my coils on my rear 4-link are rubbing the tire and the shocks are bent, which is pinching the brake lines. On the plus side, I may be getting some sweet rear coilovers now. I'm just sick of redoing things that I already paid a "Cruiser" shop $45k to do.

I'm going to bring my FJ40 to Cruiser Fest, so I can publicly challenge Greg Miller to a duel. So add that to the itinerary if you plan on going. I believe at this point, that he's responsible for crushing my Cruiser dreams. I JUST WANT TO USE MY FJ40 THIS YEAR! I had to sell my BMW last year and get a 100 just so I could still go get out on some trails!

The moral of the story is, go to Redline in the first place!

CARRY ON!

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

Unfortunately not an uncommon story with Proffits. Sorry to hear that for you. There's a guy on mud that paid for a rebuilt 1HZ only to find out they just stuck a well used mine engine in there that failed almost immediately. Gobs of stories like that.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 02-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yikes man, sorry to hear that. I hope that you get everything sorted out and I think the guys at Redline will make up for the initial bad rap.

Best of luck.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 02-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Lifted

The exact reason I do ALL of my own work. That way when something goes wrong, it's my problem anyways.
KD0WJN
Old 02-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Your in good hands, Justin will sort everything out.

45K ouch...............

______
Old 02-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Sorry to hear that Zach. 45K is steep. Imagine the SAS 100 you could have built

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 02-14-2014, 10:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Have you contacted Jeremiah?
Old 02-15-2014, 07:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
Have you contacted Jeremiah?
I think that boat has sailed.

Sucks to have to redo a bunch of stuff.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Lifted

The boat has definitely sailed. I actually wrote to Greg Miller, and he had voluntold someone to stay behind and absorb the angry phone calls. I actually felt bad for that guy. Literally, the last, single employee at Proffitt's. He basically called and told me that he has the worst job in the world, couldn't help me, and that even he would no longer be fielding the calls after mine. So that was cool. At this point, I think I might finally be caught up. I'm extremely optimistic after visiting my 40 yesterday and dropping off a deposit with Justin. Even though it's a bit more change, having some coilovers in the rear should at least give me some street (mall) cred.

Once the 40's up and running for realsies, I can get back to dumping money into the 100. Once I have an RTT, Helton, and a kitchen setup, I figure I just sell everything and live out of 2 Land Cruisers.

At least I've got Redline for the 40 and Slee for the 100. And I can just make my brother take the 100 in if I feel too lazy to bring it in myself. BONUS!

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 02-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisledYouth View Post
Warning: RANT TO FOLLOW!
I had to sell my BMW last year and get a 100 just so I could still go get out on some trails!

CARRY ON!
I know what you mean...
I had to park really far away from the restaurant at lunch
..and then they put wayyyy too much goat cheese on my salad!!

Just kidding
That sentence about the BMW reminded me of one of the funniest first world problems skits I had seen in a long time..

But in all seriousness that's a serious raw deal..hope it all works out.