Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetacoma View Post
So, I'm about to tear into this again in the next few weeks to try to fix my leak issues for once and for all. I was thinking my cover was warped so I ordered a used one from SOR... New is no longer available. The new used one, when set on a flat surface still rocks. How flat should it be? Should I tap a tap it to try to eliminate that wobble?

This time, no FIPG and I'm using a torque wrench that can do inch feet!
I have several used spares I'd have let you have your pick of for free. You should always post stuff like that up here first :-)

It should be really flat, and it is worth the time to make it so. You can work it with a ball pien hammer and a flat piece of wood underneath and the flat part of an anvil, alternately. This technique is also good for side covers and oil pans. I like to use either a 1x2 or a 1x4 as the "chisel" when doing this flattening.

You don't need a torque wrench, they are beyond useless on cork gasketed covers.

A technique that is really helpful on these gaskets is to smear some RTV (I like Permatex Ultra Blue) on the gaskets, and then let them get a little tacky, then stick the gasket to the cover (or oil pan as the case may be). This isn't so much to seal it but helps keep the gasket in position as you install the cover. Put some of the bolts through the cover while the RTV sets, to help keep it in place.

Speaking of RTV, make sure to smear some on the threads of the large bolts that go on the bottom.

One other thing about the timing cover install - I once installed a timing gear cover and it just didn't look right. A closer look showed that it wasn't exactly centered on the front of the crank, a leak (or worn out seal and then a leak) waiting to happen. I loosened up the bolts and wiggled the cover around until it was centered better, then retightened the bolts.

If you haven't already gotten them, I have extra spare seals and gaskets too. Good luck and happy cruisin'!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Lifted

Well shoooooot! Lesson learned to ask first I guess!

I'm going to take my time on it this time to make sure it's leak free. Last time it was getting late at night and I just wanted it back together!

Gaskets and seal are on order from my buddy who works at the dealership. Should be in this week and I hope to start tearing it down this weekend. Now that I know what I'm doing, it should go much quicker.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Lifted

I'm into it again this morning.

I'm thinking this oiler is too far in? The leak seems to be where the big gob of RTV is on the right there. Am I committed to replacing that gasket now?

I think that's within my scope, just a lot more work!
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:

I'm thinking this oiler is too far in?

Could very well be. People do like to tighten those down. Unscrew it and see if it was touching bottom. It should not be bottomed out, makes it hard for the oil to get up into it...and causes oil leaks.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Lifted

How will I be able to tell if it was touching bottom by unscrewing it? Will there be some indication on the end of the oiler?
Old 02-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Rock Stacker

Count how many turns to take it out, then count how many turns to go in and bottom out...
Old 02-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Lifted

Makes sense, will do! Should I replace the gasket if it is too far in or will unscrewing it slightly fix the leak on its own?

It sure is a ton of work for a simple oil leak!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Should I replace the gasket
That's going to have to be your call...
Just maybe, if it was the oil squirter being in too far, turning it out a little just might fix the leak. But I would not count on it. But, being that that gasket is such a pain to change, I might put the timing cover back on and run it for a bit without the crank pulley just to see...