Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 02-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

RE: the previous reply - now wait for the phone to ring... ;-)

http://blog.caranddriver.com/toyota-...-a-diesel-v-8/
Old 02-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

I still don't understand why Toyota would turn to Cummins to buy a power plant. Its not like they are new to the diesel market. Drop the 4.5 in and go.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I still don't understand why Toyota would turn to Cummins to buy a power plant. Its not like they are new to the diesel market. Drop the 4.5 in and go.
Makes no sense to me either. The 4.5L V8 is by all accounts a very nice diesel, quiet, accelerates almost like a gasoline engine. Why they would choose to duplicate by developing a rattling Cummins is beyond me. It's like they didn't learn from the made-by-Dana frame debacle on partnering with domestic subs.

Plus, diesel Tacoma. WTF. If you want to increase CAFE fleet average taking the Taco that outsells the Tundra 5-to-1 from 19 MPG to 30 MPG would help immensely.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

I really like the new Tundra's, but as stated, they are big, and my current situation doesn't really allow for a long vehicle (won't fit in the garage, and too nice to leave on the street where teenagers will vandalize it). In a perfect world, I'd have one to pull heavy loads, and my toys, and a smaller truck for camping/hunting/etc... (Wouldn't we all? )

I'm not in the market anymore, but I looked at a lot of different options for a pickup truck in the last year, including the Tundra, as well as the gas and diesel offerings of the big 3 domestic trucks.

Given the power in most of the new gas engines, including the tundra, and that I'd only be loading it infrequently, I honestly lost my interest in diesels.

Diesels tend to have a higher initial purchase price, comparatively high maintenance costs, as well as the higher fuel cost, all of which made the fuel economy a wash to me, albeit that is considering the current diesel offerings, which are 3/4 to 1 ton usually (so large trucks).

I've had no personal experience with small, 4 cyl diesels, which Dave suggests for the Tacoma.

I know Toyota has been selling the D4D Hilux and I truly love the look of the Hilux, but if the purchase price and maintenance cost differential is as high for the Hilux as compared to the tacoma as the Diesel versions of the big 3 compared to gas trucks, I'd again have to look at the operating costs pretty closely. The efficiency in a small diesel is better, to be sure. I suppose if (or when, hopefully) small diesel toyotas come to the US, I'll get a chance to see!

Of course, that supposes a diesel Tacoma. If the Hilux styling came too, I'd be all over it!

I also wonder about the actual economy. 31 mpg is what is posted for the D4D double cab, but the double cab taco is 24/19, or around 21-22 mixed. I don't know how many are actually seeing that. I imagine its similar in the Hilux.

So, my conclusion was that diesels will run away from gas trucks when fully loaded, and if you load them down a lot, they can't be beat. For a wheeler, or camping/outdoorsy truck, and occasional hauler, I'd probably stick with gas. But, to each their own.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 02-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post

Toyota already struggles against an "American" truck market. Maybe having a Cummins badge was a political move. Even with a Cummins our lot would be ALL over that so it'd be win win for Toyota. Then there's retraining of all dealer technicians and manufacture of special service tools. Cummins would help reduce all that cost and process I'm sure.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Could be some stupid import law too. Having the Cummins boosts the % of USA made parts?

Either way I'm interested. I'll need a big business write off in a couple years. This could be the ticket and retire the 80 to trail use.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

The new Tundra is almost entirely made in the USA. The engines are even built in Georgia IIRC. That's more than the F150 or Silverado can boast. So it wouldn't surprise me if the diesels would be built here as well. Especially since Toyota would have to build something to compete with the big diesels. I'm not aware of any 1+ ton engines they produce anywhere else. That being said I know very little about Toyota Diesels.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy!
I'm not aware of any 1+ ton engines they produce anywhere else. That being said I know very little about Toyota Diesels.
Beyond just the small truck Toyota diesels like the 1KD-FTV (D4D) and 1VD-FTV (4.5L in the Cruiser), Hino makes several inline 4 and 6 cylinder commercial diesels for world markets.

http://www.hino-global.com/products/diesel_engines/

The largest is a 13L E13C that produces roughly 1,165 lb-ft and 410 HP, which they use in the 700 series lorries, which are equivalent to our class 8 OTR and heavy duty trucks.

http://www.hino-global.com/products/trucks/index.html
http://www.hinotrucks.co.za/page/home#

I think it's purely marketing, since even emissions is likely not an issue as most countries where Toyota and Hino sell diesels have rules just like our EPA and CARB. Doesn't seem to be an issue for VW, BMW, Mercedes, etc., when they decide to get EPA & DOT certifications.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sweet!

KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 02-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bitchin' Hino!