Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Rising Sun member

Default FJ40 Stalling - snowdrift busting

Last year I was busting some snowdrifts and ended up stalling my FJ40 a couple times. It seemed to be an electrical problem and was consistent with the fine snow crystals blowing off the top of the drifts into my engine bay in some of the deeper drifts. I turned off the lights and would try to crank the engine but it would never catch and come to life. Then after a few minutes of waiting (in near 0 degree temperatures) I would try again and it would come to life and I would be on my way again.

I can only figure that the snow crystals were hitting something hot, melting, and the water droplets were migrating somewhere that didn't like them. Then, because the engine was hot, they would evaporate off in a couple minutes and I would be on my way again.

However, this has never ever been a problem in the past, on previous snow wheeling trips, or water crossings, nada.

Any ideas? I have a '77 2F, '79 vented dizzy and ignition (no points). Are the spark plugs that sensitive to water? I would think not based on this picture:

Anyway, just bothered me this morning so I thought I'd ask.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Lifted

Default stalling

Could snow have gotten into the distributor and caused a temporary short/ground, which went away as soon as the snow evaporated? The spark plugs themselves wouldn't have gotten wet, but the ignition system upstream of the spark plugs could have.

-Phrog
Old 02-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

I would guess that the cold snow hitting your hot engine evaporated and your intake sucked in a bunch of water vapor which would stall it. Not as likely in the summer maybe due to the warmer air?

'85 FJ60
Old 02-26-2014, 10:38 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrog View Post
Could snow have gotten into the distributor and caused a temporary short/ground, which went away as soon as the snow evaporated? The spark plugs themselves wouldn't have gotten wet, but the ignition system upstream of the spark plugs could have.

-Phrog
With the vented distributor design I'm not sure that could happen, but something like that is certainly what I suspect to have happened. The next question would be what is the most likely culprit and what do I need to do to avoid having that same incident in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I would guess that the cold snow hitting your hot engine evaporated and your intake sucked in a bunch of water vapor which would stall it. Not as likely in the summer maybe due to the warmer air?
Hm, maybe. I guess the same thing happens when you pour Seafoam into the intake. But it seems like the engine can take quite a bit of that and still run. The problem on this occasion was that it wouldn't restart once it stalled, even if I cranked it for several seconds. Didn't want to kill the battery because it was dark and cold and I didn't want to have to walk to a neighboring house if I didn't have to. But after a few minutes of sitting it started back up.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 02-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Lifted

Default stallling

Where's the vent intake for the distributor? If it's similar to my old FJ60 - in the passenger compartment - it seems unlikely that it would see any snow. If however it's in the engine compartment, it still might be possible. If that's the case, a simple rerouting to somewhere higher and less exposed might be the fix.

-Phrog
Old 02-26-2014, 11:14 AM

There is also the OEM dizzy cover that you should have on there.

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 02-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrog View Post
Where's the vent intake for the distributor? If it's similar to my old FJ60 - in the passenger compartment - it seems unlikely that it would see any snow. If however it's in the engine compartment, it still might be possible. If that's the case, a simple rerouting to somewhere higher and less exposed might be the fix.

-Phrog
I have it running into the cab under the glovebox. So yeah, pretty unlikely snow would get inside the cab and then through the filter I have on the end of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akingf5371 View Post
There is also the OEM dizzy cover that you should have on there.
I actually looked this morning on SOR to see if there was an OEM solution. For 77 there isn't but for '78 and on there is. So since I have a '79 dizzy I might give it a try.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Matt, when my hot air intake was stuck to always take in the hot air by the exhaust manifold, I would stall at water crossings, or anything that would cause steam to rise and mix with the air that was being sucked in to my carb. This sounds like it would fall in line with the symptoms you are describing. I would check your air intake gate in your air filter housing to verify it's moving as it should. I used a wire tie to keep my gate open to always accept cold air away from the manifold, until I found a working replacement, and never had stalling issues after that.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

What makes you so sure it was electrical?
Old 02-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Certain domestic trucks will flood badly after you shock the carb with a hard hit - is there a chance that you're hitting these drifts hard enough that you're simply massively flooding the engine? I personally doubt this, but thought I'd put it out there. It's pretty hard to upset an OEM Aisin carb.