Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Thanks Matt! My search skills are lacking..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Thought a book thread might be a good place to report in on what folks are reading these days.. Maybe there was already a thread but I could not find one. I am always looking for a recommendation on a good book..

I just picked up NO Easy Day, the Navy Seal perspective/account on the Osama Bin Laden kill. So far can't seem to put it down, good read.

Any body else reading this? I am only on page 50 so don't give away the ending...
Just finished it. It's a pretty good book.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 12-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Rising Sun member

Now that my commute is 27 miles each way, Jacki has been getting me audio books out of the library...so far I've listened to:

-Colossus by Michael Hiltzik, which is about the construction of the Hoover Dam;

-Endurance, Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing. Title says it all. I've heard of Shackleton's voyage and knew pretty much what happened and how it all went, but hearing it told through and through just puts it on a whole different level. Those guys were

Finally,
-Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. I'm glad I'm done with this one because it was a sad and upsetting book and I think put me in a bad mood for a few days, especially near the end. Really nice book to tie all the stories together, though, of Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, Geronimo, Custer and his last stand at Little Bighorn, and many other tribes, chiefs, army commanders and politicians of the time.

Today I started Why the West Rules, For Now by Ian Morris. Promises to be a good book. I think on the level of Collapse by Jared Diamond. Soon I hope to listen to Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond as well. Pretty good way to spend my 40 minute to hour-long commute I think. Maybe I'll be as smart as DaveinDenver someday
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 08-14-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:26 PM

Audel's Automotive Guide from 1972. I believe it was a trade school textbook for auto mechanics. The guy I bought my 40 from was a retired mechanic and thought I would enjoy it. He was right.

Since audiobooks count, I'm waiting for the 5th installment of Dan Carlon's Wrath of the Khans. It's the history audiobook of the Khans and their influence on... Pretty much everything that has happened since.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Fun stuff. Currently reading:

Law of the Range. Portraits of old time brand inspectors. Stephen Collector. (B&W photography)

And just picked up:

Butch Cassidy, Beyond the Grave by W.C. Jameson

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Now that my commute is 27 miles each way, Jacki has been getting me audio books out of the library...so far I've listened to:

-Colossus by Michael Hiltzik, which is about the construction of the Hoover Dam;

-Endurance, Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing. Title says it all. I've heard of Shackleton's voyage and knew pretty much what happened and how it all went, but hearing it told through and through just puts it on a whole different level. Those guys were

Finally,
-Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. I'm glad I'm done with this one because it was a sad and upsetting book and I think put me in a bad mood for a few days, especially near the end. Really nice book to tie all the stories together, though, of Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, Geronimo, Custer and his last stand at Little Bighorn, and many other tribes, chiefs, army commanders and politicians of the time.

Today I started Why the West Rules, For Now by Ian Morris. Promises to be a good book. I think on the level of Collapse by Jared Diamond. Soon I hope to listen to Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond as well. Pretty good way to spend my 40 minute to hour-long commute I think. Maybe I'll be as smart as DaveinDenver someday
These books were all good picks.

My commute is now 13 miles each way, 30-35 minutes, but enough to get through a chapter or 2 each way.

I then listened to Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond and was actually disappointed. For having won a Pulitzer Price for that book, I thought Why the West Rules, For Now by Ian Morris was a lot better written. However, the first book was written in the mid-90s and I think the second one is a lot more current, so that could account for the difference.

Listening to Eisenhower: The White House Years by Jim Newton right now. It's a very thorough account, by my reckoning. Pretty good stuff to see where we were as a nation 60 years ago.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches

Last edited by subzali; 08-14-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 AM
Rising Sun member

Been a while since an update, listened to:
In the President's Secret Service by Ronald Kessler - insightful, enjoyed it

The Secrets of the FBI by Ronald Kessler - also insightful, also enjoyed it

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie - for years I've been intimidated to read this book, yet I don't know why. Everyone should read this book.

Dark Waters (The Expedition Trilogy, Book 1) by Jason Lewis - This book/trilogy/story has me completely hooked. First human-powered circumnavigation of the world. The British humor makes for a good read. Cannot wait to read The Seed Buried Deep and cannot wait until the 3rd and final book is written to hear the rest of the story. Exploration and maps makes for a good read in my world.

Arctic Labyrinth: The Quest for the Northwest Passage by Glyn Williams - Continuing in the exploration and maps theme, this book is lengthy but interesting history, with enough maps of new areas and plates of images to keep things engaging. About 60 pages in now.
Rising Sun Bio
Old 03-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Shackleton was a bad mo-fo. I suggest reading it to understand how decisions affect outcomes in hard core scenarios. Very interesting.

I also highly recommend this one if you like that sort of stuff. Interesting to see how three teams had different outcomes after the accident plus it's the inspiration for Moby Dick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_...haleship_Essex
82 FJ40
Old 03-15-2014, 10:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Shackleton was a bad mo-fo. I suggest reading it to understand how decisions affect outcomes in hard core scenarios. Very interesting.

I also highly recommend this one if you like that sort of stuff. Interesting to see how three teams had different outcomes after the accident plus it's the inspiration for Moby Dick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_...haleship_Essex
Yeah,

Shackleton was an amazing dude. Great documentary on him. Cant remember the name.. Watched it at the Imax a few years back.

Currently reading:

Chronicles of Colorado. Interesting take on our history, seen though the people who witnessed it. ISB: 1-58979-045-6.

On the to read list is: Kearny's March, The epic Creation of the American West, 1846-1847. By Winston groom. ISBN: 978-0-307-27096-2.

Read a little about Kearny and his march, looking forward to the full tale.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 03-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Rising Sun member

Default What books ya'all reading?

Reading The Mystery of Mallory and Irvine by Tom Holzel and Audrey Salkeld right now.

Also listening to The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey in the car.
Rising Sun Bio

Last edited by subzali; 08-14-2014 at 09:52 PM.