Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Great info Dave!

that's great info on the digipeaters. good example today...the RTG seems to be working fine. I'm still struggling to get the 8GR to send a beacon. I'm receiving them fine. (I saw KD0MZE as a received station) on my HT.

What's a good rule of thumb for squelching? I typically have it squelched a tad more that I would for voice, but not much more.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

You can open the squelch completely on APRS if you wish, just turn down the volume. If you want to listen to the frequency then just set the squelch above the noise floor just like you would with voice.

I had to go down into Boulder this morning and made sure to beacon the whole trip.

http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=8&call...600&tail=21600

There are lots of holes along the Diagonal and in town, although a few got through. The trip south was on low power @ 5W and the return trip was at mid power @ 20W. So when coverage is sketchy seems having the extra bump is helpful.

Several in Boulder County repeated through N2XGL in Longmont to the I-GATE N0SPB in Brighton. A couple went directly through N0SPB. The ones up north tend to gateway through W0UPS up by Horsetooth Rez or W0LRA here in Loveland down to KC7SBS in Aurora. I think one went through BVILLE, which is a station up off I-70 near Silver Plume. Some repeated through N0ESQ on Devil's Head (this is a wide coverage location for emcomm that the USFS also uses for the Pike-Isabel NF). If you hover over a beacon you can see the packet's path.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default way better than my signal

wow....your beacons are much better than mine. what do you have yours set to? smart beaconing? or auto?
Old 04-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Some of the key APRS settings I have:

APRS TX Delay = 250ms

Beacon Inf Ambiguity = OFF
Beacon Inf SPD/CSE = ON
Beacon Inf Altitude = ON

Beacon Status Text = FREQ&SQL&SFT
Beacon Status Text Rate = 1/1

Beacon TX Auto = SMART
Beacon TX Interval = 2 min
Beacon TX Proportional = OFF
Beacon TX Decay = OFF
Beacon TX Low Speed = 2
Beacon TX Rate Limit = 20 sec

Data Squelch TX = OFF
DIGI Path Select = WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1

My Symbol = /k Truck
Position Comment = In Service

SMART Beaconing = TYPE1
TYPE1 Low Speed = 5
TYPE1 High Speed = 45
TYPE1 Slow Rate min = 30
TYPE1 Fast Rate sec = 90
TYPE1 Turn Angle deg = 28
TYPE1 Turn Slope = 240
TYPE1 Turn Time sec = 30

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Thanks for posting that-it's geektastic!

Pretty much the same here - main differences for me on the 8gr is the APRS tx delay is 300ms (default) and I think the beacon interval is 10min. As you know, the RTG is set up from byonics.com. I'm actually not sure how he sets them up, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

I'll keep messin with the ht, I like your path much better than mine have ever really looked. I'll try different antennas, too. Thanks again. I love this APRS stuff - I think the ftm-400 might be in my future. Going to mess with one this weekend.

Last edited by CardinalFJ60; 04-10-2014 at 07:18 AM. Reason: typo...messin with 'one' this weekend not my own
Old 04-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

An interval of 10 min is pretty large. The FTM-350 defaults to 5 min for this setting. I seem to get about 25% of my packets through to the Internet, so if you're only sending them out every 10 minutes then your success rate might be one or two per hour. If you increase the rate then you might get half a dozen or so, which is sufficient IMHO.

I had a FTM-400 for a couple of months last year. When we sold the Tacoma didn't need the radio anymore. Too bad the timing didn't work out, I could have sold you that one! It's a nice radio, no doubt about it.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default increasing the interval.

thanks for the insight. I've changed the interval to tx more regularly. I had it in the car yesterday - (HT inside) and no beacon's got out. I'm going to attach my little SMA hershey kiss antenna to give that a try. Even at 5w, i think I should hit one or two times, don'cha think?