Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Tire chain questions - I put a pair of v-bar chains (from Peerless tyre) on the back of my FJZ80 (no diff locks) and towed my 3/4 ton Chevy about 20' on lumpy ice-covered ground. The rear tires of the 80 were spinning slowly, as the Chevy is very heavy - snowplow and all that. Doing this mangled my tire chains - 3 side links came loose and flailed the flare on the 80, and the cross-chain connectors are all distorted on both chains - bent and peeled back.

I've never had chains deform this way (even when hunting, plowing and abusing them), and am looking into having Peerless replace them (but it wasn't looking good...)

Other than cheapie tire chains, has anyone seen chains just peel apart like this? Other than heating the links with a torch, bending them back, and then welding them, I see no easy fix for this set of chains.

I guess if I had put 4 chains on the 80, it might have lessened the burden on this pair of chains?

Steve
Old 01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

My chains were tempered from the factory. I found that if I left everything alone they were really strong. When I tried to pry open a link to make them fit the tires, the link would always break. The failure of my chain on the last snow run was due to a link I tried to pry open and clamp shut again. It broke at that link. I am going to weld them back up and not worry about it. Do your v-bars have an extra part welded to the crosslink? Mine are square link chains.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

My chains have an extra 'v bar' welded to the cross link. I realize that this gives the chains extra grabbing power that (presumably) puts the other links to the test. These are Acco-Weed chains (or some US brand) now made in China. If I can't get them replaced, I'll heat and rebend and then weld all affected links, I guess.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Steve,

Sounds like these chains? Vbar chains

I almost bought these but went with the square link ones instead.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

That is the chain. They are remarkably effective, but can really tear up trails and such (if you get down through the snow), and obviously can be hard on themselves! Doing dirt burnouts will quickly dig you in.

Anytime you have four chains and 4WD, the style of the chain becomes somewhat academic. You'll get the vehicle stuck due to snow caught under the truck before traction loss. Having said that, when you need chains, you frequently need everything you have and that last 1%. So, maybe the v-bar does give a margin of performance.

Steve
Old 01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

When I was looking for a chain for getting to and from a hunt camp above Ski Sunlight I looked into the v-bar chains. I seriously considered those v-bars 'cuz they just look downright 'mean'. In the end I went with the regular square link though. One concern I had was with those was if the chain inverted itself and dug into the tire's sidewall and in general the abuse they would take. The hunt road we drive to the camp is sometimes impassable other than early, early in the morning when everything is frozen

In the end, all my chains have done is sit their bag for the last 4+ years
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

This is why I was bummed - most folks RARELY use chains, unless they're on a dedicated snow plow truck (one of my uses). To have these chains crap out after this short time is not cool.

The 'v' isn't sharp enough to cut into a tire, or at least a competent truck tire, and they don't ever seem to invert (though it's possible, I suppose).

If Toyota keeps making coil-over suspension trucks (FJ Cruiser and 3rd gen 4Runners), you won't need chains for the front, because they won't fit. Grrrr.