Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-19-2014, 01:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Shotshell's Custom Winch Bumper Fabrication Project

So in the midst of everything else thats going on, including my new front and rear suspension systems, I'm also in the middle of fabricating a new front bumper to hold my winch and provide forward armor.
So I'm starting this thread to document the process.

Baja1d was very helpful in getting me started with this project and responsible for teaching me a great deal about fabrication and welding.Thanks, bro!

We started off by removing the old bumper (of course).
Then we extended the front frame with angle iron and made a deck for the winch to be mounted on. The front body mounts were in the way for this and had to be cut off. They were then re-welded onto the angle iron frame extensions.

Then Baja1d tacked it all in place.

This past weekend, I took a solid piece of steel plate (3/8" X 6" X 93") and marked the center line. Then I matched it up with the center line of the winch deck and tacked it in place off the front edge of the winch deck. I then figured out that I needed to measure in one foot from either end and marked a line, and then marked a line on the steel just on the outside edges of the winch deck. So at this point I had four lines marked on the front piece of steel. I used my cut off wheel to cut along these lines most of the way through the metal but was careful not to cut all the way through. I then bent these pieces on the cuts to an angle that I felt looked good and made it match on both sides using my protractor. Then I welded the cuts back together solidifying everything in place. Then I used a flapper disk on my grinder to grind down the welds and make them all look nice and smooth. Then I marked out the line that I wanted to cut to taper the shape, and cut this piece off.

Then I took those pieces and welded them back onto the top of the original piece giving the whole bumper an angled look, and ground down those welds.

A little paint, and I was done for the day.

Obviously, there's much more to do still. I'll be plugging away at it whenever I have the time.
The next step is drilling the holes for the winch. Then once it's mounted, I can figure out exactly how I need to fabricate the top plates for the bumper.

More to come.

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.

Last edited by Shotshell; 04-19-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:53 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Nice work. Glad you jumped in and started.... Only one way to learn!
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 04-19-2014, 08:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

Going to be beefy! Looking forward to progress.
TLCA #22433
1993 FZJ80 - locked & lifted. Needs some armor.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

3/8" plate!?!

It's fun to make your own stuff
Old 04-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

looking good. are you going to flush mount lights ? and whats funny Is I was just looking at winch bumpers last night becase i was going to do a very similar thing.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah i'm going to have to figure out something for lights in it. That may or may not end up happening, I'll have to see how much room I end up with.

Baja1d had suggested I get my hands on some turn signals out of an ARB bumper because they're rectangular and would be easier to cut holes for. So I think i'm going to try and get a pair of those.

And yeah, 3/8" plate. It's not light at all. But I wanted my main front piece to be a nice thick and heavy piece of armor. So I'm pretty happy with it so far. All the other pieces will be fabricated from 1/4" plate.

TLCA #22468

Old 04-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Brace it back or you'll be fixing a broken frame
Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotshell View Post
Yeah i'm going to have to figure out something for lights in it. That may or may not end up happening, I'll have to see how much room I end up with.

Baja1d had suggested I get my hands on some turn signals out of an ARB bumper because they're rectangular and would be easier to cut holes for. So I think i'm going to try and get a pair of those.

And yeah, 3/8" plate. It's not light at all. But I wanted my main front piece to be a nice thick and heavy piece of armor. So I'm pretty happy with it so far. All the other pieces will be fabricated from 1/4" plate.
I have a pair of the rectangular turn signals out of my ARB. Removed to install fog lights. Not sure if they work, never hooked them up. Free if you want them. I work at ~Arapahoe and I25.

Corey
Old 04-19-2014, 09:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
I have a pair of the rectangular turn signals out of my ARB. Removed to install fog lights. Not sure if they work, never hooked them up. Free if you want them. I work at ~Arapahoe and I25.

Corey
Hey, very cool. I'll take you up on that.
PM sent.

TLCA #22468

Old 04-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

3/8? Whoa. You are going to need the 5.29's for sure

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead