Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-01-2014, 03:34 PM

What is the most preferable tap and die set for working on a 40? From what I have picked up the Toyota thread cut is different than more common metric cuts. Am I right or off on this thought? I would like to have a kit for mostly cleaning rusty body bolts like hardtop parts. But be versatile for other applications also. I am not a 100% Toyota purist, but I don't want to have different bolts just to put the hard top back on. Or is this approach gonna be too big of a headache and I should just replace hardware as it breaks with newer hardware store replacements.
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898
Old 05-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Rising Sun member

If you search JIS thread pitches you will find that the thread pitch usually is in the fine to super fine range for any given size. I would just make a list of JIS thread pitches and take a look at the contents list and try to match as many of them up as you can.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 05-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

The ones I use the most in general, not just Toyota either. The main difference with Toyota is that they use JIS fasteners, which also sometimes means a different wrench size.

6mm x 1.0
8mm x 1.25
10mm x 1.25
12mm x 1.25
14mm x 1.50

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have an inexpensive metric kit that is about 20-30 dollars at every auto parts store. It has worked for everything that I have used it on my 40. For the most heavly used taps (just a couple), as the wore out I replaced with IRWIN. The tap handle that came with the kit was a bit flimsy, so I got an IRWIN. Others may have more inisght on what they have done.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 05-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Also get thread chasers, you don't want to keep running cutting taps & dies through existing threads as this can shave down material to the point that the threads get weak. This is especially true if you're chasing critical things like the head bolt and holes in the engine block. They get cut once and chased thereafter.

I bought a Craftsman thread restorer kit that handles most of the common metric and Imperial chasers. I bought most of the rest as well as taps & dies from AAA Metric piece meal as I needed them.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-01-2014, 04:03 PM

So I am realizing I have no clue what I am doing when it comes to using a tap and die. I really appreciate all input so far and most of it makes no sense to me. I think I need to get some education on this topic from start to finish. I have a basic kit from craftsman and have no clue how to use it properly. (I am not too proud to say when I am stumped, I'd rather admit my lack of knowledge than jack something up) so I'll start doing some searching online to get some background. But keep the advice coming, it's awesome!
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898
Old 05-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

I bought just a couple of individual Toyota-sized taps that I needed from Grainger. They have been super useful for cleaning up hardtop bolt holes, etc. The quick version of 'how to use a tap' is to:

Drill/have the correct size hole.
Get the correct style tap (bottoming or one of the other two types) with the correct pitch.
Coat the tap with cutting oil (I sometimes use anti-sieze)
Screw the tap 1/4-1/2 turn, and back it off.
Repeat - screw in, back off, etc.
Remove tap regularly (every 1-2 turns), wipe off metal bits, re-oil, and restart in hole.

The slots cut in the side of a tap allow the waste products to get out of the threads.

The goal is to not hurry, and to keep the tap clean and well lubed. Many tap handles are awkward and you'll use a small adjustable wrench at times to turn the tap. Do not overtap and overdo this, or you'll have a wobbly hole - just clean up the threads as little as you need to.

As for JIS fasteners, you can buy a $10 package of them (a 6"x9" plastic box labeled JIS Fasteners) at Advance Auto or Autozone. After you part out a few Toyotas, however, you'll be drowning in JIS fasteners ;-)
Old 05-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have a small maybe 10 piece? metric Craftsman set I keep in my trail tool box. In the garage I have a complete Matco set.

Big thing is to practice using them a little before you have to. Cutting oil is a must to prevent damage to the tool and item. Motor oil works on the trail. And patience. I broke my M6 tap yesterday working on a project here at the house. Simply trying to cut too fast without enough oil. My fault.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 05-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I bought just a couple of individual Toyota-sized taps that I needed from Grainger. They have been super useful for cleaning up hardtop bolt holes, etc. The quick version of 'how to use a tap' is to:

Drill/have the correct size hole.
Get the correct style tap (bottoming or one of the other two types) with the correct pitch.
Coat the tap with cutting oil (I sometimes use anti-sieze)
Screw the tap 1/4-1/2 turn, and back it off.
Repeat - screw in, back off, etc.
Remove tap regularly (every 1-2 turns), wipe off metal bits, re-oil, and restart in hole.

The slots cut in the side of a tap allow the waste products to get out of the threads.

The goal is to not hurry, and to keep the tap clean and well lubed. Many tap handles are awkward and you'll use a small adjustable wrench at times to turn the tap. Do not overtap and overdo this, or you'll have a wobbly hole - just clean up the threads as little as you need to.

As for JIS fasteners, you can buy a $10 package of them (a 6"x9" plastic box labeled JIS Fasteners) at Advance Auto or Autozone. After you part out a few Toyotas, however, you'll be drowning in JIS fasteners ;-)
X2

I too bought just what I needed. I have a craftmans set i got years ago but I never seemed to have the size or thread size I needed so I went to AAA Metric and got 5 sets of tap/die/chasers that covered nearly all the sizes I needed for my 4Runner. I nice T&D set can easily run you over a $150 but piece it together from scratch it should be 1/3 of that. Or just buy 1 set at a time as you need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me