Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I went to a seminar tonight put on by Dr Dishler. Got some more information on the newest technology. 41% succes rate of 20/12.5 on the test study if that means anything. All laser, no knife as well. My mom went through Dishler awhile back and is happy with the results. 40,000 is his track record at the moment so I know he has the experience. The only concern I have currently is I would be one of the first non clinical with the newer technology if I qualify. Halos are greatly reduced with this one so that makes me happy. I have an appointment next Tuesday to see if I qualify.

Thank you for your comments. It helps to see good stories with the bad. Because of Matt's negative experience, I'll ask more specific questions. I can't stand glasses and I want to know my options. I am reluctant to do it now but I am stubborn as well so we'll see how I feel after the consult.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Last edited by treerootCO; 12-12-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm waiting until I clear 40 to have this done. Hopefully, by then they'll have the success rate up over 50%. Anybody ever see the documentary on the Russian who pioneered this stuff?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

I wanted to do it before I turn 30. I feel old enough as it is

In the FDA study for the new Mel-80 93% were corrected to 20/20 41% were corrected to 20/12.5 or better. Keep in mind this isn't real world and the "study" is probably selected from the best candidates though. The other 7% are probably bind
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 12-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

When you turn 40 or 45 you may find you kinda miss a little nearsightedness. Sure, you may have 20/20, but if you don't have monovision you can't see a durn thing on the drill bits anymore. And you can't read the computer very well either, much less a book!!!
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

I managed to do pretty well till just after 50. But I started out slightly near sighted. Now I use glasses when I'm driving at night and at the hockey game. And some "cheaters" when I need a little help with small print.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

I went in for lasik last Thursday. Slept off the discomfort and by the third day, everything feels normal again. I had 20/15 the day after with a little blurriness because of the swelling. As of today the blurriness has gone away so I can probably see better than that. I can focus up close still, about 4" from my eyes, so I am happy about that. I was concerned I would loose some of my near sightedness. The halos were supposed to be better with the Mel-80 because the correction can cover a larger area. I have nothing to compare to but the halos are present at night. I don't feel they are too much of a factor. They look a lot like looking through dirty glasses.
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Glad it turned out well for you!!

Make sure you use the antibiotic eye drops exactly as directed and use ONLY perservative free eye drops as directed as well (assuming you rec'd the same directions I did). Those perservative free eye drops aren't cheap but you only have 1 pair of eyes. Doc told me that it can take up to 3 months for your vision to fully stabilize but 20/15 is where I was at as well. Ended up 20/20 in my left eye and 20/15 in my right. AWESOME.

As for the halos, its been about 6 months since I had the procedure and honestly I either don't notice the halos anymore (use to them?) or they have pretty much gone away.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

The halos should go away. Right now is the worst you will see, it only gets better. Ditto on following the regimen, don't cheat!!!

Of course, then you'll get old and can't read a darn thing anymore, but that ain't the fault of Lasik!
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.