Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-31-2014, 07:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default House water filter system

I am on a community well of 97 houses and when we moved in 6 years ago the first thing I did was add a water filter system

2 Big Blue 20" filters in line, first sediment and then Carbon. I have to change them about every 3 months.

The wife still doesn't like the water and it does over time create sediment on the coffee maker, smell in the washer etc.

I was looking at ways to enhance our system. Would like to get something more maintenance free though if that's possible.

I am willing to add a small feature my self or hire a company to redo the whole system if it really makes a big difference

Anyone have any experience with this?
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 05-31-2014, 09:26 AM
Wincher

I've been plumbing for about 10 years now. Not sure what part of Co your in but there is a company called chuck the water man who should be able to help. A standard filter system will not remove minerals such as calcium and lime. Your probably going to need to install a good water softener system or even possibly a reverse osmosis. They do make small reverse osmosis systems that you can put under the kitchen sink for filling glasses or coffee pots. Hope this helps
Old 05-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the tip. He has good reviews and no issues with the BBB. I left him a message
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 05-31-2014, 11:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have used a reverse osmosis system for going on 15 years. The princess won't drink tap water. I have it at the kitchen sink. HD and Lowes both sell the systems. Every six to twelves months to replace the filters, depending on usage. An RO will remove most everything even the added fluoride in municipal water. Drawback is that it uses water to clean water, might not be much of an issue on a well.
The system removes 95% of impurities. The systems come with their own sediment and charcoal filters, but I would run them in conjunction with your whole house filters.
TLCA#22277
2000 LX470 152k
No mods yet, work in progress.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Lifted

Call my buddy who owns Colorado Water Wizard out of Boulder. Water filtration is all they do. One of the better companies around, if not the best, that deals with this stuff. Tell him Aaron Brucker sent you. His name is Andy and the number is (303) 447-0789.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

We are on a well that has potable water but the sulfur levels are too high to enjoy it straight from the tap.

I wend down the road of a GE RO system from Home Depot. That thing was a POS. If your filtering city water it probably works just fine. But it could not deal with my well water. I'd have to change out filers after just days sometimes

I went down to my local hydroponic grow store and got an agricultural RO unit and have never been so happy. After two+ years I still have the same RO filter in place. I change out the pre-filter about 4 times per year.

This is the unit I have:http://www.growonix.com/gx-series/GX300HF

its plumbed under the kitchen sink for drinking/cooking duties. I have it set up on a 2.5 gallon pressure tank so I always have plenty of water pre treated. Its always been able to keep up with demand. The GE could not even when working.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the tip on Chuck the water man. The reviews were great, A++ rated on BBB with no complaints and I can see why.
The tech came out looked over the water reports, made a few tests and looked at my water filter system.

He said the hardness level is about 10 which compares with Denver water and isn't a real concern. He did say he could put a softener in to get it to 0 if that's what I wanted.

He said he could install a 4 filter system to remove dissolved particulates under the kitchen sink that would make bottled water quality water at the kitchen sink, BUT since my wife likes the water through the fridge with an additional carbon filter vs the tap, he wasn't recommending that either.

Based on the taste and smell (Chlorine) that all the ladies in the house can taste and smell but I can't tell the difference, He recommend a different carbon filter element in my existing filter system (20" Big Blue dual filter) to take out the chlorine.

He recommended I try that for a month and if I still have issues we could look at the other solutions.

He spent an hour with me, explained everything clearly and didn't try and sell me something.

That's a company I would recommend and do business with.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 06-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Sounds like a good water guy.
2004 Starcraft 10RT