Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Rock Stacker

Default 81 FJ40 Starter stays engaged...no start

Hey guys...I'm new to this particular forum but came across it trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with my cruiser. Intermittently...generally when I haven't driven the truck in a while when I try to start it the starter will not disengage and the truck doesn't start....just keeps turning over until battery cable disconnected. Sometimes I can just pop the clutch with the starter turning and the engine will fire and the starter disengages. Put a starter in a while back. Just wondering if anyone knew what would cause this combination??
Thanks in advance...happy to be here.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm sure a stream of information will follow....but here is where I would start.

1. Check that when the key returns from start to run that there is no longer 12v being applied to the starter solenoid.
-if 12v is till present move to the switch (not sure why this would happen)

Note: if the pinion gear doesn't disengage from the ring gear I think this will trap the solenoid into the run position.

2. Pull the starter off

3. Kick it over a few times on the bench and see if the bendix is retracting the pinion properly.

4. Lube it with some good lube even if its working

5. if the pinion looks heavily worn, you may need to shim the starter (not sure if Toyota even makes shims this is sometimes required on inferior gm, for and Chrysler stuff )

6. if it's still not working, pull the solenoid and bench test it.

7. while you have the solenoid out make sure that you can operate the linkage that connects solenoid to bendix smoothly.

8. if all that is inconclusive chuck it in the trash and try a new starter or set the truck on fire

84 FJ60 low gears, locked, fun, rebuilt
2002 4Runner 105000mi, bone stock
2013 Tundra, bone stock
1992 Toyota Camry, 4x4 at heart - deceased

"In God [i] trust. All others, bring data"
-E. Deming

Last edited by jps8460; 06-03-2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Terrible spelling and sramer as usual.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:29 AM
Rock Stacker

No truck burning in the future (I hope)...anyway thanks for the info should keep me busy for a while.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

I had an issue similar to yours years ago. I would engage the starter, and it would crank and crank and crank, and continue cranking even after I turned the switch off and pulled the key. I had to disconnect the battery to kill it. I thought it was the ignition switch, but I also ran over to the junk yard and grabbed a new starter. With a new starter, it cranked and started just fine, so for me it was a starter sticking issue.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks...exactly what I was hoping vs. wiring and the endless headache that goes with that...I think I will start with that. Although, I sort of suspected the fusible link harness that I sort of pieced together. I have checked it for continuity and it seems to be fine. Awesome amount of knowledge out there. Thank you.