Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 07-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I've driven several Cruisers cross country for friends pretty much for the adventure. My buddy, Sea Knight, on Mud, and I have a loosely formed company we call Old Guys Cruiser Transport and we have successfully delivered numerous 40s and 60 series Cruisers to their new owners. Us old retired guys have to have some adventure in our lives and helping friends connect with new to them Cruisers is rewarding. My last trip was for Gary Waggoner - he flew me out to Indiana and I drove a pristine FJ62 back to Denver. Before that, I helped facilitate a deal on a Denver 62 for a friend and then drove it to him in Atlanta, GA. Sea Knight and I simply love the adventure of driving old Cruisers, you may have read his thread on IH8MUD about driving a 40 from Austin, TX, to Hawaii for a friend's brother. He hasn't finished the story yet but it aptly describes the fun of being on the road in a Cruiser. If you haven't seen this thread, check it out on the 40 series section - it's a sticky call Saving the Old Rust Bucket.
Anyway, if this sounds like a possibility to you, shoot me a pm and we can discuss it.
Steve
I remember reading Sea Knight's story from one of those trips...truly awesome. This might be the way to go.
'00 UZJ100
Old 07-25-2014, 08:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

not into the state, but out of the state.
Attached Images

ige tlca #1431
Old 07-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sad Iggy...that should have been driven over to my driveway!

I'd go with Crash service...that's what I want to do when I retire!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 07-25-2014, 10:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

I ship vehicles all the time. I don't often ship modified vehicles but I recently shipped a D90 to Houston. Pm me if you want help
Old 07-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
My buddy, Sea Knight, on Mud, and I have a loosely formed company we call Old Guys Cruiser Transport and we have successfully delivered numerous 40s and 60 series Cruisers to their new owners. Us old retired guys have to have some adventure in our lives and helping friends connect with new to them Cruisers is rewarding. My last trip was for Gary Waggoner - he flew me out to Indiana and I drove a pristine FJ62 back to Denver. Before that, I helped facilitate a deal on a Denver 62 for a friend and then drove it to him in Atlanta, GA. Sea Knight and I simply love the adventure of driving old Cruisers, you may have read his thread on IH8MUD about driving a 40 from Austin, TX, to Hawaii for a friend's brother. He hasn't finished the story yet but it aptly describes the fun of being on the road in a Cruiser. If you haven't seen this thread, check it out on the 40 series section - it's a sticky call Saving the Old Rust Bucket.
in honor of this post
Attached Images

ige tlca #1431
Old 07-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for all the info everyone. I've been finding a few local that are in good shape but there is one out of state that is calling my name if I can swing it.

I'll keep you posted.

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 07-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

If you are still shopping around, I used Eric at 1st Haul Auto Haul for shipping Becky's TDI last year. He was recommended by several folks on Mud and it was a good experience for me overall (except when the guy dropping the car off at my house asked me how much I paid for it...).
Old 07-29-2014, 04:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

You might also want to consider flying out and driving it home. Much of that will depend upon where you find it, flight schedules and price. IIRC, the guy who bought my 40 found a one-way flight on Frontier for about $100.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 07-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thumbs up

I don't remember the company name (the vast majority of the online guys are brokers anyway ... they'll arrange an independent truck and collect a deposit and then you pay the driver the balance upon delivery), but I shipped my Triumph Spitfire from LA to a Denver 12 months ago for $525. Enclosed trailer, door to door and it rode with nothing but BMW's and Mercedes! Couldn't have been easier or better!
TLCA #22710
2010 FJC - "Wasabi Wagon"

"A society who's moral ideals prohibit it's own defense, is a society doomed to be destroyed by those very forces it deems immoral" - Marion "Doc" Ford (Randy Wayne White)
Old 07-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I've driven several Cruisers cross country for friends pretty much for the adventure. My buddy, Sea Knight, on Mud, and I have a loosely formed company we call Old Guys Cruiser Transport and we have successfully delivered numerous 40s and 60 series Cruisers to their new owners. Us old retired guys have to have some adventure in our lives and helping friends connect with new to them Cruisers is rewarding. My last trip was for Gary Waggoner - he flew me out to Indiana and I drove a pristine FJ62 back to Denver. Before that, I helped facilitate a deal on a Denver 62 for a friend and then drove it to him in Atlanta, GA. Sea Knight and I simply love the adventure of driving old Cruisers, you may have read his thread on IH8MUD about driving a 40 from Austin, TX, to Hawaii for a friend's brother. He hasn't finished the story yet but it aptly describes the fun of being on the road in a Cruiser. If you haven't seen this thread, check it out on the 40 series section - it's a sticky call Saving the Old Rust Bucket.
Anyway, if this sounds like a possibility to you, shoot me a pm and we can discuss it.
Steve
Well this must be why he can't find time to finish the story!

I like this idea!

I did ship my 55 from Sante Fe, but I do not remember who did. I can look up who did it and the amount, but this was back in '08. Diesel was a little more reasonable then...

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!