Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I would do the cheap insert Ige mentioned and be done with it.

And then remove it 20 min later

TLCA#4180
Old 01-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Rock Stacker

Well I found the restrictor that I was needing. JK Automotive in Englewood is apparently the only one in the whole state of Colorado that has these little gems. They look like a throwing star with a hole in it and are made of spring steel. You basically insert it into the Filler Neck through the Gas Cap Opening and then wedge it into place. The spring steel drives the points of the restrictor into the Filler Neck. With this in place I will be heading down to the Castle Rock inspection station in the morning. Hopefully I will meet up with success.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78FJ40 View Post
Well I found the restrictor that I was needing. JK Automotive in Englewood is apparently the only one in the whole state of Colorado that has these little gems. They look like a throwing star with a hole in it and are made of spring steel. You basically insert it into the Filler Neck through the Gas Cap Opening and then wedge it into place. The spring steel drives the points of the restrictor into the Filler Neck. With this in place I will be heading down to the Castle Rock inspection station in the morning. Hopefully I will meet up with success.
Good luck!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Rock Stacker

Yeah it passed! Now onto the DMV. See you at the February meeting if I get back from Washington in time. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78FJ40 View Post
He filled out the paper work and one of the things that he put in the instructions is that I needed a fuel neck restrictor. <snip> I also had to get a CAT installed on the exhaust.
That's too bad. An original 1978 with the factory 2F does not need a restrictor or a cat, they weren't required until 1979. Glad you got passed though, congrats!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

>That's too bad. An original 1978 with the factory 2F does not need a >restrictor or a cat, they weren't required until 1979. Glad you got passed >though, congrats!

I was told otherwise, and it was checked every year on the e-test of my 6/78 FJ40 - no cats, but restrictors are required and checked. The little book of 'what's supposed to be on your truck' showed restrictors. The PO even replaced the filler neck with a new one (to get a restrictor) and hammered one of those 'replacement restrictors' into the neck of the ConFerr tank.

Now that the Dems have taken over Colorado politics, I wouldn't ditch all your emission stuff just yet (those of us in El Paso and a few other counties). I'm sure some liberal will find an excuse (other than clean air) to reinstate the e-tests around here - job security for mom-and-pop repair shops, for instance.

Steve