Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 10-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Default Mooses! Er, Meese? A whole lotta moose? Hmmm...

Years ago, I went with a group of friends on a backpacking trip on Isle Royale in Lake Superior (near Canada). We had set up camp and went for an evening hike. Isle Royale is so thick with growth that even the animals use the hiking trails to get around. As it was getting dark, a moose jumped out of the brush onto the trail in front of us and just stood there! We were worried he was going to charge us. We stamped our feet, clapped our hands, flashed him with the camera flash, everything we could think of to dissuade him of the notion that he should come our way. We had a little stand-off for maybe 5 minutes (it seemed lots longer at the time). Eventually, he turned around and took a giant leap back into the forest.

Isle Royale is one of the lushest places on the Earth. It's like a North American rain forest.

There are a few other good stories to tell from this trip, but it will have to be verbal, so I can deny everything later.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default Since this thread has already been hijacked to moose stories...

My moose story came from just last year. I was up near Tabernash scouting some area I haven't been to before. I found this powerline road that was very steep and the snopw was 12+ inches deep. I was turnin and burnin in Longgrain making fresh tracks in the snow (previous attempts by lesser vehicles had stopped way back at the beginning) and just as I reached the top of the hill I spotted movement. At first I thought they were Elk until I rounded the corner and seen this mamoth of a moose directly ahead of me. I snapped this pic through the windshield as I was still throwing snow hard and couldn't stop. The pic does this animal no justice! The snow here was at least 2 foot deep and it wasn't even up to his knees! After stopping about where he is in the pic I looked around. Lokks like there was at least 5 of them bedded down on the road I just came up and so rudely interupted! Monster size animals! dang cool thing to see!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Default Moose is big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
The pic does this animal no justice!
The moose picture that I took on my Isle Royale trip had the same problem. You just can't tell how huge the animal really is. That one has a full rack too!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.