Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Exclamation Help needed for insurance claim

This just came in. Can anyone help this guy?

Hi my name is Phillip Roberts. I am a paramedic student, professional rock climber and I need your help. A drunk driver just totalled my beautiful 84 toyota sr5 4X4 longbed pickup. I saved up for years to be able to build this truck and expected to drive if for at least another 10 years. I have more than 12,000 in reciepts on top of a truck that I paid 5K for. They want to force me to take 2300 for it. I was hoping that a professional letter from experts would be leverage to get them to pay what it would cost to get another one that is comparable truck. I am not looking for what I put into it, just fair market value.

So the specs on the truck: 5k for the truck
200k on the odometer
15-30k on a custom built DOA engine
5-8K on a new Tranny
Marlin clutch & flywheel
new radiator
new alternator
new starter
new piping
new wiring
new hoses
new 488 locked gears front and back
33 12.5 all terrains which were pretty toast. They have maybe 8k left to go
Jacobs pro street ignition
carpet kit
bac pac shell
Warn Hubs
New drive shaft, mounts and bushings
rancho steering stabalizers and front shocks (dont ask what happened to the back they are back to stock)
Thule and Yakima racks
smittybilt bumpers
the paint was 8/10 gorgeous other than a spot the size of your hand missing on the hood.
The body was perfectly straight
The interior was not perfect but pretty decent 5/10
engine cut off switch wired in
electric fan switch in cab
off road lights

There was practically nothing on this truck that was not new.

They offered me 2300 for the thing. The tranny cost more than that 6 months ago. I was thinking 6500. They tell me this is all someone would have paid for it. You can't get a piece of dog poo yota 4X4 solid axle for that cheap much less something with a new engine I was hoping I could get letter from experts saying what people would pay right now for a comparable vehicle. They took 2 weeks to get the car off my lawn 1 week to get me a rental car and are giving me 3 days before they take the rental back hoping to pressure me into taking the 2300. In short they are trying to screw me.

If you could draft up something that looks official and e-mail or fax it to me I would be eternally in your debt. I really don't want to drive a metro or a tercel.

Phillip Roberts
cell 408 203 9128
fax 408 371 5312
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Wincher

Man thats rough. Ill give the guy a call and tell him about my experience when I made a claim on the '85Runner. Insurance valued it at $5600 so I bought it back at $1700 and paid off some stuff. 'Course now she holds an S-title...but really who cares.