Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 11-07-2005, 11:34 AM
JeffC

Default Help 3.0 L V6 Removal Questions

I am trying to remove the 3 Litre V6 from my 1990 4x4 and I am running into a few issues and hoped someone here may have some information that would assist me.
First off - should I leave the manual trans attached to the motor when removing? Some of the bolts seem awefully hard to reach.

Second - how and where do you disconnect the wire harness. I do not see any natural place for this and the harnesss run under other top-half engine pieces. Does this mean that I need to dis-assemble more of the top half to get the harness free?

Third - the steering cross member run right in front of the oil pan and will not allow me to pull the motor forward once I am ready to lift it out. Do I need to disconnect this steering piece?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default 3.0 yank

Hmm, We've done this on Jkimmel's truck.

Leave the tranny. To get to the top 2 bolts, use a 3 foot extention, a wobble head at the socket and lower the back of the tranny down a bit.

label and unplug all the wires/hoes at the engine side of things. There is no good natural unplug point unless you count the computer. An option is to unbolt the vacume switches from the fender and drap them over the engine.

You do not have to take any steering parts off to pull the engine (I don't think) With the tranny tilted down in the back, the pan will clear as go forward/up. If you do need room, unbolt the idler arm from the frame that'll buy you a little bit more room.

The engine has to go up a LONG WAY to get over the front of the truck. Make ure you leave enough room on your engine hoist. (chain it CLOSE)
Old 11-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

its a pain really. like leinies said you can get to the top two bolts. if I remember right it was easier to get them from the bottom.
didn't need to move steering...

wiring...I seem to remember pulling the plenum off, as well as the intake. Then you can unplug the injector harness and all the rest of the stuff and tie it back. that was the most simple solution(its been a few years). just had to get a couple new gaskets from the dealer.

leinies and I pulled it in friday night and I drove it home sunday night. its a pain in the butt however doable, its all mechanical.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:11 AM
JeffC

Default Leiniesred and J Kimmel

Thanks for the info. Leiniesred, when you said, "Leave the trans" did you mean leave the trans in the truck or leave the trans attached to the motor. Since you referenced the top bolts and the wobble head I assume you meant that it would be easier to disconnect the trans. from the motor?

Since you're on the line, are you or J Kimmel running headers on your rig? I've thought about them but wasn't sure how well they would fit or how prone to leaking they may be. Busted 2 exhaust bolts and one knuckle (where the exhaust pipe bolts onto the exhaust manifold) so now I'll have to find a way to cut this off.

Regards Jeff C.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Leave trans in truck

Leave the trans in the truck. no reason to pull it and those top bolts are not really that hard from the back with the tranny lowered a little.

JKimmel had a set of headers and traded me some stuff once. I never put them on and I sold them to brandi. I don't know if he ever put them on either, but he hasn't paid me for them (yet).

We are both running the stock exhaust manifolds.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

every time I thought about headers I thought about all the work and extra $$ to have the exhaust re-worked so I sold them. Still have stockers.