Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
I will look for the Valvoline stuff and give it a shot. I have part of the equation to do the job and with your power bleeder I am in business.

I am going to drop the shaft of on Wednesday or Thursday I hope, they say a day turn around so I could be good for the weekend again. Working on the tank and some other items tonight. Hope to have the steering all hooked up and ready to go too.

PS The LT is on the truck on its way here. Should be here on Friday but since I am off Friday I should get it Monday.
Sweet! For a totally stock system, I'd stick with ATF as spec'd. I ran Mobil1 which I do not believe was responsible for the grenading PS pump; the 5VZ rack-n-pinion pump seems to be a mismatch to the IFS steering box, while yours is not.

Once you use a pressure brake bleeder you'll never go back. Keeps you honest on the brake fluid service interval too, most guys never change it.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

I crossposted to 4x4wire, where 4Crawler (TLCA's Roger Brown) posted this reply:
Quote:
Used Valvoline (on AllPro's recommendation) then the steering box started to leak so I figured I would try switching to ATF and that still leaked. So had the box rebuilt, the ram resealed and the pump tested (it was fine) and went with Howe's fluid (on their recommendation). They claim their stuff has some extra additives to make the pump, ram and steering box all happy.
So Howe's PSF or Royal Purple PSF seem to have a bit of an edge for aftermarket PS systems (Roger runs ram assist).
Caveat: Roger's steering box was not exactly new... who knows if it would have leaked anyway! Not enough evidence to implicate Valvoline.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

FWIW, for posterity, here is a competitor's system that uses the T/C pump:
Howe Performance, Toyota Line Diagram
KDěRCH
Bio Page