Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Lifted

Default Reasonable place for synthetic oil change

Hi, I just got a 80 a little while ago and the previous owner had always used synthetic and recomended I do the same. I understand this truck takes 8-9 quarts per change. Is there a particular place here in denver that you guys can recomend that wont rip me of. I normally go to Toyexus on Broadway for my lexus but they dont do synthetic changes. Trying to get this done today before heading to the mountains so any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ali

Also attached pics of the rig, never owned one of these before but now I dont think I can live without one.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Welcom Ali!

Best to do any oil change is your own driveway!

Go to Wally World, buy a drain pan, and a box (or big jug) of M1. That will be your best prices.

Join the TLCA and Rising Sun and get oil filters for a discount at Stevinson Toyota. Or NAPA has filters by Wix...

Good luck!

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Welcome! I agree, the best place to get an oil change is your own driveway. Also the preferred oil among some 80 owners is Mobil 1 0w40, which you can get at Auto Zone. You need to buy 9 quarts, book says 7.8, plus some for the filter.

However, if you run out of time then take a drive to Sleeoffroad in Golden, they do LOF service as well as outfitting, and they've got synthetic oil. HTH.

edit: Oh, and I think Slee uses Castrol, FWIW.. ask him 303-278-8287

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 11-22-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Burt will do an oil change while you wait, 30 minutes or the next one is free - you bring in your own oil, that's fine (they use Pennz - :barf: ). They charge the same though, oil doesn't represent that much of their cost.

The Goodyear shop where I got my tires will do the same. Look into Mobil1, or Valvoline DuraBlend if you want to save a buck.

For the tranny (if manual) use nothing but dino oil, or better yet, Redline MT-90. Mobil1 gear oil is fine in the diffs and transfer case but will make synchros slip and your tranny shift very poorly.

Agreed, the MyGarage Lube & Oil is the best place.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Bill don't confuse the poor guy! ATF, baby.. Dextron III.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Lifted

thanks for all the info guys, I called Slee, very nice people openly told me it would not be worthwile for them just doing an oil change and I could do it cheaper elsewhere. He also said he could help me find a used front bumper as mine has a good size dent in it. Told me about a used ARB he just sold, damn.

Burt said $95 but they are pretty far from me and then I called the goodyear thats right by my place downtown and they said $75 for mobil 1 so I think I'll do that for this time and just stock up on oil and filters for future changes.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Rising Sun Commander

That's not that bad of a deal.. 9 quarts M1 at AutoZone is 9*$5.29= $47.61, *1.0865 Westminster tax= $51.73 for the oil. Add another $8 for the filter, and you're at $60.. so for $15 you don't have to get your hands dirty, or drive to Auto Zone, and then later drive back to dump the old oil.

But you don't get to be the one to install the new filter and retorque the drain plug, and you don't get to make sure all the drips are wiped clean. And that's probably why most of us prefer to do it ourselves..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

You can always buy the oil you want and take it to grease monkey or other places and tell them to use your oil. They will probably charge you about $20-$25 anyways.

Nice rig. Looks lifted
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 11-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Lifted

got it done, thanks again for all the help.

It is lifted, has the OME 3 inch kit.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Welcome and enjoy the new ride. Arb never made a 3 inch lift. it is either some version of the 2.5 lift or the J springs for a 3.5 lift. The 3.5 was made special for a different market then took off here, but is not sold as a lift kit as it may create the steering being a little light because of lack of caster adjustment. later robbie