Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post

As much as I like the idea of the Stauns, you do lock both beads, but you do not get the extra outer ring. Having that huge lip where things are bound to get hammered gives extra strength and piece of mind.
This is true to a certain point, you can do what was done to my rims. I have 15x8 with a rock ring welded on the outer section of the rim, want to get it on the inner one too. Now if I hit a rock real hard my rim is not going to bend. I am looking at getting the staun inserts maybe next year and welding an additional ring to the inner part of the rim.

Try this link to look at the rims, http://picasaweb.google.com/trompies You should be able to find a shot that shows them. The cost of the rims would be less too, I would say about $110 to 140 with both sides covered by rings. The Stauns will add the cost but no hastle from Johny Law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 05-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Wincher

This is a little OT from Champions, but I've been looking at the same thing...Stauns on aluminum to keep the weight down, with a steel ring to protect the rim.

UB, what rims were you looking at, that had a durable fake ring? I can't find one that doesn't have really small fasteners or equally small mounting points...they all look like they'd be torn off, first hit.

What I figure would work, tho...an aluminum ring, drilled and tapped (or with inserts), welded to the existing rim. Then countersink some holes in a steel ring and bolt to the aluminum ring. All the functionality, much less weight. I got the rims years ago, so it's just the cost of the Stauns and modifying the rim. I don't know how a simple thick aluminum ring on its own would fare, vs a steel ring...anyone?

Anyone know of a good TIG welder and a machine shop to modify an aluminum rim that way?

-Sean
Old 05-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

huh? you're not keeping weight down by adding internal beadlocks and then a fake beadlock, why not just get them beadlocked by champion, they're plenty durable, or do an staun, and replace a wheel if they ever get damaged. Really, how often has someone had to replace a wheel from damage? I bet not often!
Old 05-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Me. Once. As of last weekend.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
huh? you're not keeping weight down by adding internal beadlocks and then a fake beadlock, why not just get them beadlocked by champion, they're plenty durable, or do an staun, and replace a wheel if they ever get damaged. Really, how often has someone had to replace a wheel from damage? I bet not often!
Weight is down compared to a traditional two-piece steel double beadlock with a PVC or metal frame insert. Otherwise, you're correct...but the Champion is a single lock.

My aluminum rims are chewed up here and there, I try not to bang them around since there's no protection at the lip.

Just looking over the Champion page, it's probably a lot more expensive to do it the way I was suggesting, since it's basically building a beadlock and then not using it. Might be on the high side of comparable just to have a 1/4" thick aluminum ring welded to the existing rim, and forget the steel part.

-Sean