Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Hardtop - need to re-tap some bolts, how hard?

the two bolts that attach the hardtop to the top of the windshield frame are snapped off in the frame and were painted over at some point. I need to put those in.

I've never tapped/threaded a new hole before. How hard is it, what tools would I need? tap and dye set...I think I know that, but not much more...
Old 07-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Rising Sun member

You first need to get the old ones out. Try PB Blaster then a bolt extractor, but if the extractor breaks then you've got problems. You can also carefully drill them out maybe. If you can get the old bolts out then you won't have to rethread! If so then you drill a pilot clearance hole (like 13/64 for the M6 bolt I think) then hand tap I think it's M6x1.0. Nice and slow, preferable with a cutting oil, go in a bit then back out, in further then out, repeat until you're all the way through. You don't want to overtorque the tap and break it.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Rising Sun Commander

My experience has proven that easy-outs often turn a bad situation into an ugly one, I've had more break off in bolts than I've had actually extract the broken stud. Use a tiny punch to smack an indent as on center as possible to the broken stud, then drill a tiny hole. Then drill a bigger hole, keep working up until you think you're kissing the screw threads of the nut insert. Then switch to the tap, those are M6 x 1.25 I believe. The tap will either remove the rest of the broken stud material, or it will shove the broken stuff past the nut, either way you're free.

And since this is in a tricky spot, it may be best to pull the windshield off and do this on the bench, not only is it tough to sit on the hood to drill but the lip of the hard top is going to be in your way the whole time.

www.gamiviti.com