Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Rising Sun member

Talking You knew it was coming...cooling system

This spring (and especially today, going slow/idling on the trail) I have been experiencing a little overheating. I'm thinking it may be fan clutch related because once I get moving then the temp gauge drops way down again, but it was rising to just above the hatch close to the H (meaning just inside the "red" zone) today if I left it idling.

-Is there a service interval for the fan clutch (I'm assuming all I should need to do is change out the clutch fluid or whatever)

-Is this a drain/refill procedure or do you just add more? I'm assuming you can buy it at NAPA etc.

I'm gonna try this first, seems like a simple solution if it is the problem and it doesn't seem to me to be like a thermostat issue.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
This spring (and especially today, going slow/idling on the trail) I have been experiencing a little overheating. I'm thinking it may be fan clutch related because once I get moving then the temp gauge drops way down again, but it was rising to just above the hatch close to the H (meaning just inside the "red" zone) today if I left it idling.

-Is there a service interval for the fan clutch (I'm assuming all I should need to do is change out the clutch fluid or whatever)

-Is this a drain/refill procedure or do you just add more? I'm assuming you can buy it at NAPA etc.

I'm gonna try this first, seems like a simple solution if it is the problem and it doesn't seem to me to be like a thermostat issue.
Matt-

I dont think the clutch has any fluid in it, I think it is mechanically operated with a thermal spring coil thingy... I could be wrong.

As for the radiator, you might try flushing it and refilling it with the proper mix. You might consider having the radiator recored, but I would see how it goes with good coolant and a good flushing.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 07-30-2007, 12:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Matt-

I dont think the clutch has any fluid in it, I think it is mechanically operated with a thermal spring coil thingy... I could be wrong.

As for the radiator, you might try flushing it and refilling it with the proper mix. You might consider having the radiator recored, but I would see how it goes with good coolant and a good flushing.

Clutch fans usually do have a viscous fluid (silicone). The bi-metal spring simply closes bi pass ports inside the clutch making the clutch more resistant to freewheeling.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 07-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

There you go! I learn something new everyday here... sometimes twice a day.

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 07-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

A coolant flush, new thermostat and gaskets is an easy first step and good preventative measure. Try that first if it's been awhile since you did a flush. I just did this on my 40 and it's running much cooler.

(I waited too long to do this maintenance on my 60 and now I'm looking at replacing the radiator, water pump and all the hoses to the tune of 500 bones...)

'85 FJ60
Old 07-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Rising Sun member

knew it was easy, just low on coolant. I've been leaking a little bit here and there, apparently it adds up?

(that was a joke) - I had the rad hot tanked etc. summer 05, heater core I cleaned out this last spring, so should be good to go otherwise. I'm still going to look into the fan clutch a little bit, just so I know how it all works
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD