Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 07-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Trail Ready

Default So the bio-swap begins....

Or atleast so it does via paperwork...

So I am starting to set that ball in montion for the 4bt swap come spring. The first questions is lift. I have left this to the side a bit so I need to focus on it. Goal is 35' and 4' I suppose. Now, do you go with the Slee 4' or are here other options. This is being built as a overlander/expedition style rig. Thoughts?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Trail Ready

btw, 95 fj80
Old 07-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acon40 View Post
Goal is 35' and 4' I suppose. Now, do you go with the Slee 4' or are here other options. This is being built as a overlander/expedition style rig. Thoughts?
Two options come to mind and they are the Slee 4" and FOR 3.5" lift. That said, if you truly are setting up and expedition style rig then do you really want to go that high? I'm pretty sure you can clear 35" with an OME setup and stay lower. The concern on OME and 35s is when you start flexing = rubbing. On an expedition type rig you're not so concerned with flex as you are carrying capacity. Some maybe OME Heavy all around?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-01-2007, 06:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

The most stable lift I ran for heavy applications was the old slee lifts. They used a 1.5 spacer with OME springs. Used the 864's in back and 850's in front. The net result was 4 inch lift that was real stable. I ran the 35 mtr back then with the extra fuel tank, drawer system and lots of weight. It could go down any dirt track with good speed and handle better than stock. I need to find some of the old spacers again to set the truck up that way for expediations. Where the full spring kits will have better articulation (either 4 or 6), a spring spacer system with yield better handleing truck. The 6 inch kit works well for a lot of applications, it can be a bear in high wind and is not as stable as the spacer/ spring kits. But again, the full spring kits work better for crawling.
Hope this helps, Just my opinion. later robbie
Old 08-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Trail Ready

Thanks so much...thats what I wanted to hear as I feel the rocks will happen, but I have been there and done that and I am over it. I would rather enjoy sights and learn about the area now. Do things more at my pace then stop go stop go roll haha (yea a few times) so I am going to look into the ome setup you have listed....
Old 08-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Just a FYI, when Proffits do the 4BT swap they use our 4" lift, however they do not use all the parts due to the driveshaft lengths etc due to the custom drivetrain.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Listen to Christo

Probably just give him a call and see what they have found works the best. I failed to take into consideration that you were planning to do a 4BT swap (actually wouldn't have know how that would affect lift choices anyway ). And, when you say expedition style are you planning to carry a week+ worth of food, water, spare parts, etc. or just do day trips? All that needs to be taken into consideration so you set the rig up for what is best all around and maybe only have a compromise at certain times. I.E. if you went OME heavy all around but 90% of your driving was without any weight then you probably would be unhappy with the ride.

Best bet IMO would be to call/visit Christo and discuss your plans and what he has found works best
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater