Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 09-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thumbs up 40's Only Run

Thanks to Martin for getting the 40s only run set up. It was a LOT of fun and gave me a chance to actually drive the 40 farther than just around the neighborhood.

I didn't have my camera (couldn't find it this morning) so no pics from me , but I know several folks had a camera along so hopefully they'll get a chance to post up some pics over the next few days.

Weather was good, then bad, then good again . Typical CO weather...I even got hailed on coming down Fall River Rd just outside of Alice. The trail was great and the scenery was spectacular

Lessons learned today for me are that my 40 with the weber carb doesn't like high elevations at all, it makes a funny noise/sensation through the steering wheel when hitting bumps (like a rod spinning really fast and then touching something), and 8 hours in a 40 is probably equivalent to 1 week in the LX ...My back took a beating
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater

Last edited by corsair23; 09-16-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Thanks to Martin for getting the 40s only run set up. It was a LOT of fun and gave me a chance to actually drive the 40 farther than just around the neighborhood.

I didn't have my camera (couldn't find it this morning) so no pics from me , but I know several folks had camera so hopefully they'll get a chance to post up some pics over the next few days.

Weather was good, then bad, then good again . Typical CO weather...I even got hailed on coming down Fall River Rd just outside of Alice. The trail was great and the scenery was spectacular

Lessons learned today for me are that my 40 with the weber carb doesn't like high elevations at all, it makes a funny noise/sensation through the steering wheel when hitting bumps (like a rod spinning really fast and then touching something), and 8 hours in a 40 is probably equivalent to 1 week in the LX ...My back took a beating

Dude.....your back took a beating? That was the roughest ride I have been in in a long....llllloooooonnnnnnggggggg time! I had a blast too! All runs in the past were only 40's and starving carbs and vapor lock are just part of the history lesson. FYI Webers don't mind high alts! Jerry Cruiser had a great shakedown run and he now has a large list of what to do's. The next time you see it it will have morphed a huge amount! Found out on Yankee hill his vapor lock issue probably isn't vapor lock as it ONLY happens on the rear fuel tank! I took quite a bit of pics and will upload them to the gallery very soon. Also got a couple caption quests than should be good. THANK YOU MARTIN for the run!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default good time!

That was a fun day! fun run, good scenery, a little Marmot sighting and lots of cool 40's! Thanks for putting this together Martin.

Rough ride...yeah, makes me kinda dislike the ranchos the PO put on there. OH well, loads of fun anyway.

I had a co-pilot from work and both of us brought our cameras. I've got lots of pics and I'm sure he does, too. I get some posted later today.

Did you guys get that nasty weather on Yankee Hill? As Corsair said, it hailed a little on the way down fall river road when we split off. We were wondering what it was like up there.

Thanks again! great to see everyone again!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Rising Sun member

Thanks Martin for setting it up and carrying it to success! And thanks everyone who showed up, it was great wheeling with some 40s that aren't typically seen on the trail

We got hailed on in Alice while we were looking for Yankee Hill (took us a while but we found it) but then the clouds rolled by and it was pretty nice. Uncle Ben, as you can see I made it back okay but I went down that hill by the mine and it turns out the spur I took loops back around to the upper parking lot. Another spur dropped off and appeared to go into the valley but I didn't follow it. Oh and I found that I stayed on the trail on the bypass to the steep hill to the upper parking lot, even though there was 2 1/2 feet of snow and I couldn't see the trail! And I found that it might have been the big ditch in the middle of the trail that was making it difficult for me to drag my buddy's Scout up that last hill to the upper parking lot , but

All in all a great day! But the hardtop is going back on soon if I head to the high country.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

[quote=subzali;46331]

Oh and I found that I stayed on the trail on the bypass to the steep hill to the upper parking lot, even though there was 2 1/2 feet of snow and I couldn't see the trail! And I found that it might have been the big ditch in the middle of the trail that was making it difficult for me to drag my buddy's Scout up that last hill to the upper parking lot , but
QUOTE]

2 1\2 feet of new snow or an old drift?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks again everyone for making the inaugural 40's Only Run a great day. The rigs we had in attendance:

Subzali, Corsair23, CardinalFJ60, Wesintl, Jerry and Uncle Ben, Rzeppa, Shorty and myself.

(plus a 4runner and a yeep that tagged along. some kind of miscommunication about the name of the run)

We headed up Kingston Peak from Tolland and had some drizzle, some sun, some wind, some rain, some more sun, and only a couple of mechanical/electrical issues that didn't slow us down much. Not bad for a bunch or 30 year old rigs. We passed a small group of FJ Cruisers coming down the trail and it was pretty cool to see them gawking and pointing at a line of old 40's motoring up the trail.

When we got down into Alice, some of the group headed back to civilization and a few of us made a loop out of the trail by running Yankee hill back towards Central City. I had never run this trail before so it was fun to see some new territory. There's a lot of trails back there and I'm planning to go back and explore some more.

I took some pics but I didn't realize my lens had a big smudgey fingerprint on it and they all look horrible. So hopefully someone posts up some better pics soon!

Some smudged photos:

Lets do this again next year!

'85 FJ60
Old 09-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Not sure why but I cant get any pics to link to the gallery....what I have uploaded so far is here
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Link to pics

Here's a link to Jeff's pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jefftak...7602049370181/

enjoy..
Old 09-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Looks like everyone had fun. I really wanted to make this run but I would hate to bring everyone down so I stayed out.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 09-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Thank You again Martin for making this a reality. It was nice to see some old iron back out on the trails. I'll try and post some pics as Sophie allows..
TLCA#4180