Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

OK, so 'splain what's up with the temperature gauge.
Is it like mine, where it goes from 'cold' to 'middle of the range' about the time I back out of the garage, in 2.4 milliseconds? Is that what you fixed?
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Correct. The stock gauge reads off, on, and boiling. Now it reads like a temp gauge should.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 11-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Those gauges look sweet. What other colors do they have?

That temp gauge mod sounds like a good one. Maybe I could do my D light at the same time.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Is it like mine, where it goes from 'cold' to 'middle of the range' about the time I back out of the garage, in 2.4 milliseconds? Is that what you fixed?
I've seen this mod before and I'm not sure how it works out on mini trucks. Sounds like yours is definitely a similar operation. My gauge takes a few minutes to go from cold to operate. Starting in the morning it doesn't hit the middle of the sweep until I'm just about at the highway, so from Downing and Evans, north on Downing about 6 blocks and it'll just about be there by the time I hit the on-ramp. My guess is that the combo gauges we have are the same circuit as the Cruiser. Our dead spot is 135 ohms, the lower side is below 57 ohms and the boil-over is above 217 ohms. I wouldn't be surprised to find the exact same nulling diode-limited Wheatstone (or half Wheatstone anyway).

Edit: Ran out at lunch and watched my temp closer. Yup, seems it comes up slowly to about 25% of the sweep and pops right up to a needle's width on the low side of middle. I'd guess there's a pretty wide dead spot on the middle of my gauge. Guess I'll be tearing my dash apart!

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 11-12-2007 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Lunch Experiments
Old 11-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

We could have tried it on your gauges when they were out for the body work. I've had my gauges out once, to replace the speed-o cable when I did the heater core. What a PITA that is.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 11-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post

The stock gauge has a dummy zone where it will still show fine and then start to climb after you have a problem.

On the way to Moab I developed a leak in one of my hoses. I installed a seperate temp gauge (And boost gauge) after my SC install.

The Stock temp gauge did not move while my other temp gauge climbed to 200, 210 and at about 220 then started to climb. At 210 I was turning on the heat (turn off AC) etc and attempting to cool it down and it worked for about 50 miles. At 220 I was pulling over just as the temp gauge started to climb. After shutting the truck off the temp gauge climbed to about 225 and then the stock temp gauge climbed significantly.

So from 180- 220 deg, the stock gauge does not move and then ramps quickly above that. Too late to be pro-active.

The modification was developed by Raventai on mud and essentially changes some components to remove the dead zone.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Rising Sun member

Thanks Ken! Makes sense and sounds like a good deal!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno bored View Post
Just get the Scangauge II, you don't have to rip you dash apart and digital readout.
x2 and it saved my butt coming back from Moab because as Ken said, once the stock gauge starts moving from center you are already close to troublesville. My stock gauge hits "center" at about 150F. I've seen it move higher twice, and it didn't start moving until the temp was 215F+ so it has a good 50-60F "dead zone" stock.

IIRC, in an 80 226F is the AC cutoff temp. So yeah, not much wiggle room once you see the stock gauge moving from its dead zone.

Scangauge II is also supposedly going to offer user programable selections such at ATF temp etc. - Basically if the ECU can report it the Scangauge can be programmed to read and display it, someday.

That said, if I ever have a need to take apart my dash I'll probably go ahead and do the temp gauge mod as well just for even more peace of mind
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 11-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well I've had new "d" light bulbs for about 4 years now, just haven't pulled the dash. But I'd be in for a group session on this that involved the supervised pulling of the dash and someone with superior soldering skills at the ready- sounds like Tch2fly & I went to the same electrical college..

Hey in exchange I'll sign up to supervise a recliner hinge mod fest, if anyone else is interested in that. Or heck Treeroot let's trade 80's for a week- when you get yours back your 2nd rows will have 7 recline positions. When I get mine back my D will be on and my temp gage will work.. how's that for a plan.. swap trucks & trade for a mod? Tch2fly you can do me a subwoofer setup.. what's your truck need?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

A mod nakman doesn't have what is the world coming too
TLCA#4180