Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 11-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default need some help on vibration issues..

hello all,

new to the area and excited about meeting new people.. went to the meeting this past wednseday an met a few new people, looking to be an active member of the club soon.

anyways, i have a techical question... i just got done doing a v-8 swap, 4 runner breaks, rebuild both axles, did the t case and insltalled a h55f, and did rebuilt driveshafts... all in one fail swoop.

the truck has some weird vibrations at 45-65mph (indicated) and i'd love for someobody to drive it or ride in it and help me figure out what the heck is going on. anybody interested? free ride in a 5.3 liter 300hp cruiser... i am in lafayette, co. it made it 1500 miles from memphis doing 80mph the whle way so it can't be that bad but i just dont know. also, need to find a place to put the front end through its paces to see if i put the oil pan on the engine far enough away from the axle to keep it from hitting... i think the dude that did my third member in the rear may have not set it up right,

anyone... bueler....
Old 11-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Missed the meeting, so didn't meet you. Can you tell me what kind of vehicle it is????

'85 FJ60
Old 11-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
hello all,

new to the area and excited about meeting new people.. went to the meeting this past wednseday an met a few new people, looking to be an active member of the club soon.

anyways, i have a techical question... i just got done doing a v-8 swap, 4 runner breaks, rebuild both axles, did the t case and insltalled a h55f, and did rebuilt driveshafts... all in one fail swoop.

the truck has some weird vibrations at 45-65mph (indicated) and i'd love for someobody to drive it or ride in it and help me figure out what the heck is going on. anybody interested? free ride in a 5.3 liter 300hp cruiser... i am in lafayette, co. it made it 1500 miles from memphis doing 80mph the whle way so it can't be that bad but i just dont know. also, need to find a place to put the front end through its paces to see if i put the oil pan on the engine far enough away from the axle to keep it from hitting... i think the dude that did my third member in the rear may have not set it up right,

anyone... bueler....

Do the rear dif gears "sing?" Vibrations usually come from balance rather than improper setup. I'm just guessing but did the plane of the powertrain change? In other words does the engine sit higher or lower than original? (same question for the tranny/T-case.) Use an angle finder on the rear output flange of the t-case and then check the pinion flange on the rear diff....I've got a $10 spot that the vertical planes of those two flanges are differant!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Welcome man, I don't know about helping you diagnose your vibrations, but I will rip on your new engine in a cruiser for you

Does it only happen between the speeds listed or does it do it at other speeds as well?

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 11-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

it is an fj60, sorry about that, and thanks for all the attentiion!!

honestly, i dont knwo if the angles changed much, i dont think they did since the i tied to keep the centerline of the engine (crank) in the same spot as original...
Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Could be the pinion angles as UB mentioned, also makes me think about improperly balanced or overly worn tires. My 60 was just cured of the shakes by adding some new properly balanced rubber.

'85 FJ60
Old 11-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

i got new bfg at's right before i left memphis.....
Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
it is an fj60, sorry about that, and thanks for all the attentiion!!

honestly, i dont knwo if the angles changed much, i dont think they did since the i tied to keep the centerline of the engine (crank) in the same spot as original...

Even if you slightly changed the centerline....it only takes 2* to start causing vibrations!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

okey dokie. i'll swing under there and put angle finders on there to see.

one other thing that i noticed, if the t case is in 4wd but the hubs in front are not locked, i get another horrible vibration from the front. this one feels like something is loose though... so i'll look for loose stuff when i flip under it. i'll stop by lowes at lunch today and get an angle finder..
Old 11-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Rising Sun member

Heya, I met you for a quick minute right before you left, now I forgot your name . Welcome to the board!

Does this vibration (the one you just mentioned) also happen if the hubs are locked but the t-case is not engaged? The same items should be spinning except the t-case output shaft, don't know if it will help you narrow it down at all. Check for loose springs, knuckle studs, etc.

Good luck!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD