Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Name's marco capote.

man, it is probably going to be hard to remember everybody elses names! i'll play around with the front end tonight, maybe at lunch and see..
Old 11-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Welcome Marco! What about your driveshaft.. it's not "out of phase," is it? That would definitely give you the vibes you mention.. if one pinion was 90 from the the other, for example Did you have the driveshaft apart?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Name's marco capote.

man, it is probably going to be hard to remember everybody elses names! i'll play around with the front end tonight, maybe at lunch and see..
That's one of the reasons we have everyone introduce themselves at the beginning of every meeting. It seems redundant if you know everyone, but if you're new to the club, it can be very helpful.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

yep problem number one. i missed the first part of the meeting because i didnt realize golden was that far away from lafayette. but yeah, i agree, before long with that kind of repitition i'll remember!

The driveshafts are not out of phase, that was one of the first things i checked hoping to have an easy solution..
Old 11-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

DS balance, pinion vertical plane vs. tcase vertical plane (as mentioned...).

U-joint condition too, you'd be surprised what that can do with no other symptoms.

I generally shoot for 2* down at the rear pinion, as there is usually *some* axle wrap even going down the highway. Regards your front noise, I get that too, but because of a long travel spline (some play is inherent and it acts a bit like an unbalanced shaft).
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Another welcome. I wasn't at the meeting last week, but nice to see a fellow Lafayette'ian here.

Our trucks are pretty different, but as it relates to vibrations, I have a few..... I have pinion angle issues on my rear shaft that creates low speed vibration (around 10mph +-). My higher speed vibrations (45-55) are definitely an issue with wheel/tire balancing. Vibrations mostly go away at interstate speeds, which is probably why I'm being lazy about them.

I've shimmed my rear diff around 2-2.5*, but I can't get the vibrations to go away (unless I pull out the OME suspension).
Old 11-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

ok, got under there and measured it at lunch, looks like the pinion is about 4 degrees up from the t case flange when the truck is just sitting there unloaded. should i try to shim it with the same type of caster shims that there are available for the front end or should i just accept it the way it is?

all of the u joints were replaced with factory toyota ones when i rebuilt the driveshafts, also had them balanced. they both took a little bit of weight, but not much.

the front just rattles and shakes when the t-case is in 4wd and the hubs are not locked, and has a higher frequency vibration (thats more of a buzz) when the front hubs are locked and it's not in 4wd, and when hubs are locked and it's in 4wd. i'll get under there again tonight maybe to see if there is anything loose.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

The vibration w/ tcase in 4wd and hubs unlocked is odd...
You said you rebuilt the front axle. Did you reinstall the outer c clips on the ends of the outer axles (birfs)? Did you stake the pinion nut on the front diff? Have you confirmed that there is no radial play in both the pinion flange and the front tcase flange? When you had the front axle apart, did you check the condition of the brass bushings in the front hubs?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 11-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

well, here goes.. i remember doing the c clips in the hubs. I didnt take the pinion out (or rebuild that diff since it ran fine before i tore everything down). the bushings in the front hubs looked pretty new actually. very little wear. i need to check the flanges for radial slop. will get under there and wiggle them tonight.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
well, here goes.. i remember doing the c clips in the hubs. I didnt take the pinion out (or rebuild that diff since it ran fine before i tore everything down). the bushings in the front hubs looked pretty new actually. very little wear. i need to check the flanges for radial slop. will get under there and wiggle them tonight.

Fronts driveshafts are much tougher to keep vibes down on lifted trucks unless you change the caster angles by cutting and turning the knuckles! A common solution for wagons especially is running a CV joint at the t-case. 4* is not horribly bad unless it's a positive 4* (pinion high vrs low) Rear shims are iffy as they deal with constant torque loading. I suggest getting 4* shims and shimming the rear axle to get your planes parallel. If the vibes go away then plan on repairing the problem by relocating the spring pads on the axle by the same * that it took to smooth it out. Rotational vibrations are caused from inconsistencies. Example....T-case flange is -4*(down) tilt pinion flange is +4*tilt drive shaft is at 4* angle....-4 + +4 cancel each other out, driveshaft has no imbalance....no vibration. T-case 0*, Pinion +4* drive shaft at 4* angle....4's again cancel each other but the O* pinion has no way to cancel so you have a balance inconsistency = vibration.....solution - add CV joint which cases two joints to each take 2* of angle....4's cancel each other out again. Clear as mud?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior