Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 11-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Rising Sun member

Default Moab Turkey Day - lessons learned

1. Kane Creek was fun.
2. Allen head drain plugs are going on soon. (I lost t-case oil on the drive back from Kane Creek)
3. Skid plate is going to be beefed up.
4. Just because I have a winch doesn't give me a right to be on trails I shouldn't be on (broke my rear pinion on Cliffhanger, went down the entrance, turned around and tried to get back out, so was right by the road).
5. Dual batteries are coming soon (battery died while winching but was by then close enough to strap).
6. Sometimes one extra truck isn't enough (needed two to yank the strap once my winch died).
7. Bigger tires recommended (I didn't break because of throttle usage, I broke because I got a little off on my line so when I backed off the ledge I landed on my pinion).
8. Land Cruisers are great! We were able to swap 3rd members in 6 hours and drive home in 2wd, whereas a Y**P would have needed a tow truck and needed the gears reset etc. (at least on my buddies D44 setup).

Still kinda put a hamper in the weekend, but a good learning experience nonetheless. Now I have to consider whether:

a) I am ready to go down the slippery slope of bigger and (maybe) better, or:

b) keep what I have and stay on trails that my rig can handle. And:
b.1) if I do that, do I buy a beater 40 for the harder trails that I can do some mods on? What I would need is something with a frame, body, 2F, no axles (or set up for spring over and I can adjust later), no tranny or t-case.

Time to start thinking...I think I need to be in a house for any of this to really start happening so it's not anytime soon, but I'm going to work out a budget and see what I come up with...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
2. Allen head drain plugs are going on soon. (I lost t-case oil on the drive back from Kane Creek)
That is no guarantee (look at the Chinaman's trip report for a comparo), but they do help. Scott at Burt is gonna order a few, since I showed up there Saturday and cleaned them out, and recommended they were the hot setup and they should stock them!

Just build your 40 a bit. You should be able to handle Cliffhanger and 90% of the trails out there in your Yeepcrusher.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Trail Ready

That Climb Killed my Drive shaft one year, i ended up re tubing it in town and kept wheeling. i got my revenge last year
Where you climbing the Left side, or the right side?

glad you got it up and running, and got home!

i would just look at beefing up your current truck a little bit I would not hesitate to take a rig similar to yours on Cliffhanger, maybe go a bit bigger with the tires first!

Last edited by isotel; 11-26-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Rising Sun member

I was going to go up the leftish side, but was trying to get up the low spot in the middle.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Cliffhanger took out my Long last year and I was on the flats heading home from our lunch spot.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 11-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Start with some larger tires and see how that does. If you do OK great if not look at some added gearing and skid protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 11-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Wincher

Moab? More like Snoab!

We were there Thursday, planned to wheel Friday, but woke up to 4 inches of snow! We ended up heading South and wheeling through Canyonlands.

Glad you had fun! Build your 40! Rock rigs are fun.
'04 Tacoma Double Cab- pretty much stock
Old 11-27-2007, 06:56 AM
Rising Sun member

Yeah now it's twice I've been snowed out of riding Porcupine Rim - we went to Arches so it was okay.

Here's some pictures from before the breakage - on Kane Creek, which was a sweet sweet trail - kinda long though.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yea - I ran Kane Creek about 3 weeks ago for the first time - very fun trail - a different taste of Moab. Not the best trail for my LWB....
I think we were on the trail for about 10 hours (probably 1/3 of that just trying to climb all the rigs out of the canyon). MasterBlake in his stock Tacoma had no troubles though...