Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Default What size press do I need?

While flipping through yesterday's HF catalog, I decided that I need a hydraulic press for the garage. My main use is want to be able to press in bearing races- I really dislike the procedure of smacking them in with a brass drift & hammer. But I'm sure there are a million other uses for having a press around, kind of like having a bench vice the next thing you know you're using it every weekend for something, right?

So they've got a 6-ton model for like $69, is that enough force? Next step up is the 12-ton, for $129.. the nice thing about the smaller one though is it would fit on a work bench, which means it would also be easy to toss in a car to loan to other guys (and bring to the WBPP, perhaps?) All the others are their own deal that would roll around and consume valuable floor space in the garage. All of these are just bottle jacks bolted inside some framework.

Anyone used one of these small 6-ton jobbies? Would it press in a race?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I would suggest at least 10 or 20 ton. While pressing in races usually isn't so hard, I've found that pressing them out usually takes more force, especially the race on the pinion where it gets snugged up against the pinion gear.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yes, I'd also go with the big one. The Dake one we have at work is a 25 ton. I think I've reached the pressure relief on several occasions.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have a HB 12-ton and it's good for many things. If I had it to do over, I would definitely go with their 20-ton.

SeldomSeen had a tragic moment with mine when trying to swap rear axle wheel bearings. I have it straight now, but need to brace it significantly. The 20 would have done it no sweat.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.