Ham is ghey 2 7.69%
CB's are for loud mouth geeks who like to hear their own voice 0 0%
Communication on the trail....why? (no transceiver) 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginericLC View Post
And best of all, unlike most of the CBs out there, you can buy radios that are not made in China
That is an interesting point, both of my Yaesu units were made in Japan.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Yabut, don't things get cluttered with a bunch of 4x4 groups doing their inane chatting on the trail and somebody across town trying to use the same frequency gets irritated? CBs fall off pretty quickly, keeping things more private and less intrusive in such a situation, no?
1)go QRP, decrease your power to the min required to keep contact. When Groucho and I went to Mt. Bross we were talking between trucks with as little as 1 watt and still had better performance than CB but weren't bothering any one else on freq (at least until we got above tree line)

2)Attenuate incoming signals, tighten up your RF gain. Essentially you are DECREASING your radio's receiving distance. Some radios have this option some don't.

3)CTSS, Continuous Tone Squelching System. Basically a sub-audible tone that is sent with YOUR signal. I set MY radio to only accept transmissions that contain the tone (and visa-versa)

Last edited by Seldom Seen; 12-21-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Seen View Post
3)CTSS, Continuous Tone Squelching System. Basically a sub-audible tone that is sent with YOUR signal. I set MY radio to only accept transmissions that contain the tone (and visa-versa)
I totally spaced that one! What that means is that in a way, the transmission is basically encripted with a sub-audible tone. When you transmit, that tone says to other radios "If you aren't set up to hear me(the tone) then you won't get the rest of the transmission". That way, only others in the group with the tone will hear you. And it is not hard to figure out the tone if you know the freq and don't hear anyone. Most radios have a tone search to figure it out.

Nice call, Brian!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

Brian, right after you teach me to field strip my AR-15, you gonna hafta skool me in da ham arts.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Brian, right after you teach me to field strip my AR-15, you gonna hafta skool me in da ham arts.
Are you saying you don't know how to field strip your AR-15? Is it just that the hand guards are difficult to get off, is the bolt hard to put back together or is the trigger where you just can't figure it all out?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

I ain't done it since new. I wanted to sit at the feet of an ex-Army guy and learn the dark arts. It's just that... that... he is so SeldomSeen.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

I qualify. Don't tell the neighbors. Had Top Secret clearance while on active duty due to my responsibilities in ordering, issuing, transporting and handling ammunitions. Nuthin special, just had enough different kinds of ammo right be hind me most of the time to make a crater out of Berthoud.
Was an armorers asst for 3 mos. HATED the handguards. But I got to carry a 9MM instead of an M-16A2, so I felt like dirty harry instead of GI Joe.
I don't think I remember the difference between th AR-15 and the M-16A2 trigger mechanism to enable me to adapt the AR-15 to semi-auto or even full-auto(M-16A1 style).
Old 12-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Mine is semi auto out of the box. Oly. Full auto, though fun and expensive, would net me a permanent retirement plan I'd bet.
Gee, another one stop shop. Field stripping and hamming it up mentoring. You're on.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 12-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Groucho, do you remember, "Shoot, Communicate, Move"? I think we got'er covered X3 !
Old 12-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Qualification

No, I remember:
"Is there anyone downrange? Is there anyone downrange? Range 216 is about to conduct a live-fire exercise. If there is anyone downrange please indicate to the tower by sight sound or signal." (PAUSE)
"Ready on the left?"
"Ready on the right?"
"Firers rotate your selector switch from safe to semi."
"and firers, watch your lanes!"