Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 11-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I agree with you Kevin. I found the big descents to be scarier than the climbs. I had sweaty palms the entire day.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I don't think you'd get much agreement on that assessment. Was Porcupine the first trail you'd ever run in Moab? You always remember that first trail being harder than it actually is. I bet if you ran it again, you'd do it with far less pucker.
Porcupine was the first trail I had ever completed...Years ago tried Poison Spider in a stock Jeep with near bald tires and made it to just past the waterfall.

Just something about driving along a rim/ridge, off camber, where if the ass end slips you have a long way down . Maybe it was that on Fins and Poison Spider we had great spotting through any of the "tough" spots...On Porcupine most of it was just you. I think my biggest pucker was in the area where I believe Romer has a shot of him or someone with their ass end trying to slide off the rim. But heck, I puckered several times on Slaughterhouse Gulch through the off camber spots.

In the end though you are probably correct...First official Moab trail in a new to me vehicle, first trip off road,

Although Kipper and I talked after the run and he agreed that the trail seems tougher (in spots) than a 3 now. Said it seems to have deteriorated over the years.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Rock Stacker

OK, newbie question -- but let's say you were going to take an FJ Cruiser, no lift, 32's... Which trails? I'm thinking Fins and things, but what would y'all recommend?
Old 01-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

porcupine rim, chicken corners, poison spider, wipe out hill, among some others.

Check out the trail descriptons from Red Rock 4-Wheelers http://www.rr4w.com/pageview.aspx?menu=4422&id=16364
TLCA#4180
Old 01-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
You are being way to hard on yourself about breaking! Often the difference between a great line and a bad one is only a few inches over! The more you wheel the better you will be at looking like a hero by the lines you take! Can't teach that stuff on a computer or in a book! Takes time, patience and broken parts!
Kevin is right, a few inches here or there. The weight of your rig or the height. When Kevin and some of us ran Cliffhanger last year I changed the pressure in my tires 4 times till I got it right. What a difference, just two pounds and I made it up some ledges.

You have to look at the ratings as a guide, they aren't written in stone as said before. What your rig climbs without a problem mine may have problems with. Wheelbase can change a rating from 3 to 4 or visa versa, as can tires. You may pucker when stuck on a side hill while Kevin and I will climb before we descend. We all have our pucker factors, you just need to identify yours and apply them to the trail you plan to run. We could be driving the same rig up the same trail and the outcome could be totally different due to the line we pick or how we apply the throttle or brake.

Use the ratings as a guide and ask as many questions as you can, then decide if the trail is for you or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by woooody View Post
OK, newbie question -- but let's say you were going to take an FJ Cruiser, no lift, 32's... Which trails? I'm thinking Fins and things, but what would y'all recommend?
Woooody, read my post above this one. It all depends on what you are looking for. Do you mind a scratch or two on the body or maybe a dent or two on your frame? Do you want a nice pleasure drive or one that will push you to find the right line?

Last year the FJ team took stock FJ's up Poison Spider with no damage. Great spotting and experience can make up for a stock vehicle. Your rig should have the rear locker and A-Trac, add 32" tires and you are way ahead of a "stock" rig. My advice is to go to Youtube and search for videos of other FJ's in Moab, there are a ton. See what they did and then decide if you want to do the same.

PS On our last day we did Pritchett, a FJ tagged along with us. His mods included a 3" lift, 33" tires and a front locker. With a heavy foot and little regard to damage he made the whole trail. Joe Callegia as the rest of us were duly impressed as we figured we were going to leave him at the first obstacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woooody View Post
Elephant Hill, too. Is this Ross Woody?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Elephant Hill, too. Is this Ross Woody?
Yup, that's me

I went ahead and signed up for the "easy" ones -- Fins and Elephant. Also Chicken corners on Wed. Figure if my 6 year old tags along, I'll want to keep it mellow. She did pretty good on McGrew in the FJC, but hated Fordyce in the 40. Don't want to kill her enthusiasm.

However, should things change, I may update my run requests, if at all possible.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I would think she would really like e-hill, The small hike to chesler park and the overlook are awesome. Same with checking out the fossils in the dry streams.
TLCA#4180
Old 01-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

fins is always a blast. only easy trail i know of that all the hardcore guys will admit is fun. it's like a little roller coaster.
ige tlca #1431