Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 01-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

The last picture was near our final turn around spot.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Who has the purple 4Runner with the black soft top? I dig it!
Old 01-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Sharon and I had a great time today. Sharon got to drive a little bit and loved it, she is ready for more. I found out at the end of the trip why my tires did not bulge when I dropped the pressure. Seems that my fancy tire gauge I bought several years ago was off by 7 #'s. I started with what I thought was 8 #'s of pressure and dropped to 6, still no bulge like Red Chili. Once I started to air up I used my digital unit to measure the air and found out my real pressure was actually 13 #'s. That explains Moab and other trips not to mention my lack of flotation today. Live and learn.

Just an FYI, for those of you who want to buy a winch but don't want to blow a ton of cash or a short of $$$. My winch that I bought at Costco did great, I either pulled myself out or Jeff in his Lexus 470. Granted the winch did not like Jeff's big ol beast but it did the job and came back for more.

I agree with Scott, next year we may want to adjust the date. Make that this year ;-) We still had fun but it would have been better if we could have gotten around a little more. Maybe the first week of December depending on the snow conditions. After that I think we start running into Christmas parties.

Thanks again Scott for heading this up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrolMan View Post
Who has the purple 4Runner with the black soft top? I dig it!
That rig belongs to Steven, leineisred on the board, his avatar is his truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
good times. I made it home just fine. I'll get after those airlines and the compressor relay. That ought to keep the 90 weight outta faces.
Yeah, that stuff stinks - That's one way to get my nose out of your engine bay though
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I'm hoping it's..........
Close, but it looks more like this in real life - I'll have to get it over to Matt or Wes as I won't be at the Feb meeting

You guys must have been winching from the same trees though 'cuz that's where my buddy found it, just sitting there. I couldn't believe it when he asked what it was. Unfortunately that is where my winch decided to become Damien

Attached Images

TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 01-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Time for some pics

Ready to rock...

Red Chili leading the way...Amazing to watch him just float over the snow. What was it you said at the end of the day Bill? "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee"?

Red Chili stuck...ok, not really but gives you an idea of the snow depth compared to Chili's 35s

My first "stuck" of the morning...So many more to come - This one was pretty benign

My second "stuck". This one was bad...real bad...My axles were buried, my sliders sitting on snow, and I could turn my rear tires by hand in neutral - This pretty much insured the entire section would be turned into a quagmire from then on. I had followed Chili through this section about 5-10 mins earlier with absolutely no issues, and even got him unstuck at the Y just down the road. Tom, RockRunner, was behind me and got stuck trying to help out one of the ATVs Yoder mentions. I went back to pull Tom out. That worked well until my ass end slid to the right (toward the fence) off the harder packed snow and down I went. We actually spent the majority of the day digging, pulling, and winching rigs through this 1/4 mile section - It was like quicksand. Chili came back and "packed" the route down about 10+ times and I STILL sank time after time. This is also where my winch decided to become Damien and I quickly became a 3 ton liability

This became a familiar site...LOTS of digging...Always bring a good co-pilot along who is willing to help you out

And so the winch fest begins - Thanks to Tom and Bill for the numerous tugs, pulls, and help. I'll have to see if my buddy got video of one of the "tugs" Bill gave me. We are pretty sure Red Chili's front tires came off the ground

Trying to pull the "whale" the opposite direction...

Once we finally managed to get myself through this section, it was the other's turn - Just as Red Chili and I got to the end of this section and parked at the "Y", the cavalry, Steve Rudy and Kimmel, showed up coming from the opposite direction. They were immediately put to work to help Tom and the others thru - In the end even Steve and Kimmel managed to get stuck - First Steve got stuck up against the fence (his truck seemed to have an affection for barbed wire ) trying to pull Tom forward and then Kimmel got stuck trying to pull Steve out

The weather went from blowing cold, to some sun/blue skies, to snow, to heavy snow, to overcast.

As it got colder, the tracks that were packed down got slicker...Here Steve Rudy is getting strapped up to keep him, or his truck, out of the barbed wire again

Did someone say it was slick out here? Or are you just laying down on the job? My co-pilot and snow digger extraordinaire

During the winch fest, I had Mead the Great Dane sniff a snatch block and sent her out in search of Uncle Ben's lost ARB snatch block. Unfortunately, as I discussed with Rover67 later on, Mead is young and seems to have a short attention span

Yoder was up next and you guessed it, he got stuck, a few times as well. Luckily his winch was working great and he was able to winch, roll, sink, and repeat down the trail

Last up was John in his mini truck. I didn't snap any pics because I had switched to video after figuring out how he planned to attack the problem . Unfortunately I didn't get any video of the first section as he came blasting down the trail, snow flying, tires spinning. But, like everyone else he got stuck which gave me a chance to get his next two runs on tape

Red Chili sporting some new moon disk wheels

Me standing in "Yoder's hole" at the furthest spot we made it to. Hard to see but the hole was nearly 3' deep

At the end of the day, it was all about fun in the snow and of course PIZZA!!!!!
TLCA #17037

:

Old 01-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

I learned several key points today (aside from picking up a lot of experience on strapping, winching, etc).

First: 4Runners float. 80s/LXs sink

Second: on a snow run never send me back on a section just completed to pull someone out. I will get stuck - On both occassions where I initially got stuck it was after I had already successfully made it through section and then went back to help get someone unstuck. Never send in the whale when the butterfly is much better equipped!

Third: a stuck 80 will easily pull a 4Runner to it vs the opposite - strap that 4Runner to something

Fourth: If you have a winch make sure you have a quick way to disconnect the power to it just in case it decides to turn into Damien. Not sure exactly what happened to my winch but when I went to pull myself out and hit the switch on the controller to take up the slack, the winch wouldn't turn off . It was a mad scramble at that point for Sharon to run to the tree saver to try and unhook me before the slack was all in (luckily my buddy had pulled out PLENTY of slack) and for me to pop the hood and disconnect the positive lead to the winch cable. Luckily the cables are attached with wing nuts which allowed for fairly quick removal or things could have gotten really bad, really quick.

Fifth: It is possible to find an ARB snatch block along side the trail

Finally: The snow run is a hoot, but well prepared rigs are a must. Winch/strap points, LOW pressure in the tires (I ended up running 10 psi), winches, straps, shovels, etc. are essential. AND, it really helps to have a light weight rig so you can float vs sink

I now have an updated sig line after this run
TLCA #17037

:

Last edited by corsair23; 01-06-2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: stupid typos...hate em :)
Old 01-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

lots of fun today, lots of work. I didn't realize how heavy some of those rigs are, I had to anchor to trees to pull anything.

thanks for the pizza and thanks Scott for putting it together, it was lots of fun

nice to meet you all!

Jeremy
Old 01-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Close, but it looks more like this in real life - I'll have to get it over to Matt or Wes as I won't be at the Feb meeting

You guys must have been winching from the same trees though 'cuz that's where my buddy found it, just sitting there. I couldn't believe it when he asked what it was. Unfortunately that is where my winch decided to become Damien

Don't know if that will work because I don't trust either one of those guys with the finders fee! Guess we better get together for the exchange! Thank you sir! :corsair23:
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior