Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Bobby Long rocks

I know, it has been said before, no news here, move along...

My early generation Longfields have been clicking. Justin reduced my steering stops last year, and that seemed to help (didn't help the turning radius), but on the snow & pizza run I heard them clicking again. I asked Jeremy about it, and his clicked for a long time until he broke the outer on one - the birf never did break. No worries?

So being the OCD kinda guy I am, I thought I would call Bobby. Once I told him I was a happy customer of the welded ring early Longfields, he said they don't make them that way any more, they have some issues, and clicking is not good. He said if I have a donor pair of birfs (I do), to just send them with a check for $25 for shipping and he would send me newly modified birfs. Gratis.

Cannot BEAT that. What was it, five years ago I bought them? Wow.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

No worries. Jeremy's ringed longfield that DIDN'T break was under MY truck clicking away until last spring! Remember the snow run? I was turning lock to lock, back and forth, stuck; the birf clicked almost the entire time.

The other ringed longfield I was running until last spring came from Josh's orange truck. He didn't use any snap rings and the axle went all the way to the bell where it ground on the bell and got ground down to the point that we could not remove the axle from the birf due to all the chaf and mushroomed splines. Josh beat the crap out of it with a hammer and deformed the ring, but no go. So I gave him a stock birf and axleshaft so he could get on the trail and gave me the destroyed one.
I put it in a piece of pipe and slammed it for a LONG time as hard as I could until it finally came apart. I cleaned it out, put my inner into it (with a snap ring) and THAT ONE STILL LIVES TOO! (It was also under my truck until last year. The balls hit the deformed ring (and dented it back out!), the schrapnel MUST have been in the balls, it clicks, but never broke! (with 35-36 inch tires!)

Between Bobby and Marlin, we're lucky.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

:laughing::laughing:

thats redneck

Glad to hear he took care of you, I busted the stub reversing up the 2nd waterfall on Indy and then after destroying a hub detroit and R&P(all in one shot) I finally shelled the long backing out of my garage with a new spooled front end, Rude boy has the side that didn't break

and they were all ringed longs, his new ones are thousands better!
Old 01-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

That's what Bobby said too.
Honesty springs from character.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

I was looking at their U-joints and Hub gears. The hub gears aren't to expensive but that U-joint.........holly molly, $150 for one.

I think I am going to have to look into getting some of their 30 spline birfs before CM, not to mention something stronger for the rear. Thinking of replacing the 37's with some 39's when they wear out. Either way the added strength will give me piece of mind.

I am glad to hear that they do have great customer service. I am still waiting on a call back from Marlin regarding my rear springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
I am glad to hear that they do have great customer service. I am still waiting on a call back from Marlin regarding my rear springs.
Marlin is the shiznit, but they are usually very busy. I would try calling them again.

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
rage, rage, against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
Old 01-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
Marlin is the shiznit, but they are usually very busy. I would try calling them again.
Trust me I have, it was the same when I bought my lift from them. I understand they are busy but after a week and two calls you would expect a return call.

I am going to try their forum again, worked last time.

PS not Bashing Marlin just their "call center"

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Trust me I have, it was the same when I bought my lift from them. I understand they are busy but after a week and two calls you would expect a return call.

I am going to try their forum again, worked last time.

PS not Bashing Marlin just their "call center"

As you probably know it's the staff you're waiting on....Marlin is a worker Bee and relies on hired help to man the phones so he can actually get work done. Be persistant.....Marlin WILL take care of you!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Rock Stacker

I've got the 30 splines. It's very nice to know that I can turn the wheel all the way to lock and give it hell in double low
Old 01-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
As you probably know it's the staff you're waiting on....Marlin is a worker Bee and relies on hired help to man the phones so he can actually get work done. Be persistant.....Marlin WILL take care of you!

Will do Kevin, I know what he is going through. Been there myself.

Quote:

TLCA #6136