Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default 3rd Gen runner guys ... a little help

OK, Iíve done a some searching on a couple different forums but frankly I donít trust the wild range of responses I see. The situation Ö..

My son has a 1996 4runner LTD and has saved up a big chunk of cash to start his build. I picked up an ARB bumper yesterday and an 8k Warn is on the way. He (and I) would like to go with a 2-3Ē lift. I have seen stuff about using cruiser springs in the rear but at this point I would like to get an all-in-one kit. I know OME has been great for my 80 and Iím leaning toward their 2.5Ē kit.

I now have a set of used BFG 285s that I can give him but in my research Iím not sure they will fit without a bunch of trimming (will the spare even fit underneath?). I donít want to butcher this truck and at this point he wants to keep the running boards (we have discussed the pros/cons), so frankly this truck will see FAR more street use than trail but hopefully he will start coming on some of the mild/moderate club runs.

Any thoughts or suggestions??
Old 01-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Rachel has a 99 4runner with 285 BFG AT KO's and an OME 2.5" lift. The spare fit fine before we got the rear bumper for her truck.

She also has an ARB bumper, but no winch. She has Slee sliders as well

No rubbing issues to our knowledge. There was one exception when you turned (don't remember which way) the pass wheel would rub something in the wheel well. Oleg told me that was normal with these trucks and a couple of hammer hits later (Oleg did it) there was no more rubbing.

If you want to come by and look at her truck, we can figure out a time.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Good info!
Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know
Old 01-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

My usual wheeling buddy has a '98 with a downey kit, Arb bumper, sliders, full skids, 9k winch, Rock Ware rear bumper, SC, and 285 MTR's. No rubbing whatsoever, and the lift is at about 2". I think staying with stock wheels/backspacing is the name of the game for stuffage and no rubbing.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 01-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hmm.

Well, we have the OME 2.5 lift on my dad's 97. He runs a 265/75-16 BFG AT.

It does rub slightly at full stuff.

Keep in mind that a suspension lift alone will allow you to run larger tires on the street, but won't do anything for the trail unless you shim your bumpstops to restrict the up travel.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
No rubbing issues to our knowledge. There was one exception when you turned (don't remember which way) the pass wheel would rub something in the wheel well. Oleg told me that was normal with these trucks and a couple of hammer hits later (Oleg did it) there was no more rubbing.
He was probably talking about the pinchweld at the backside of the front wheel wells. Trim the plastic back and hammer it flat...not much to it.
2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Old 01-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
He was probably talking about the pinchweld at the backside of the front wheel wells. Trim the plastic back and hammer it flat...not much to it.

exactly
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tch2fly View Post
I have seen stuff about using cruiser springs in the rear but at this point I would like to get an all-in-one kit. I know OME has been great for my 80 and Iím leaning toward their 2.5Ē kit.
The 80-Series springs in the rear work great but without a heavy aftermarket bumper you will get more than 3.5" of lift. With new 80 series coils and my rear bumper I'm getting about 3.5" after it settled a bit. Since you want an "all in one" kit OME is probably the only way to go. With 285 BFG A/Ts on the stock wheels and the amount of lift you are looking at, the only problem area should be the pinch weld that Romer was talking about.
2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure