Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman
But you'll probably be fine with the 9.5, but there may be a case where you wish you had a bigger one, and hopefully then someone else will be with you and the two of you will come up with something. I think your bumper decision is more important than your winch decision though. If you get an ARB then go for the M12 just because you can, but if you get the Slee well then your winch decision is obvious.
The personal problem I have with this approach is an M12 weighs 136 lbs. Added to the weight of the ARB winch bumper, and you are adding material weight to a rig that is already too heavy, especially at our elevations. You start changing your suspension bias to load bearing in order to accommodate these "heavy duty weight" approaches.

I get the solving for 1% use, especially in extraction, so don't get me wrong - I see the tradeoff. Having said that, I'm for the polar opposite. I really want to get an opinion on the 9.0Rc, which weighs 54 lbs and is compact with only 50 ft. of synthetic on the drum.

From there I could add 2 or 3 lengths of "adder" line at just a few more pounds sitting in the cargo area when I need more line. Mounted into my tube bumper I'm at maybe 60 lbs over stock in total with a 9K winch with far better clearance and upwards of 150lbs weight savings than an ARB mounted M12.

This is biasing entirely for crawling as opposed to complex snow extractions, which makes great sense for me until I go get stuck in the snow 250 ft. from any reasonable extraction point .
Old 01-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

136 lbs even with synthetic rope?

'Course, SlimFast for all the occupants might result in a net/net wash on weight...
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Nay I know where you're coming from wanting to stay light.. we should swap trucks some time to see what the difference is. I suspect we won't be able to tell, particularly since your gears are different. I'm not sure the difference though, 6200 pounds vs. 6000 pounds because of smaller winch & bumper, but maybe being way out in front of the truck you actually can feel it. Then again, changing the weight pushing down on the front, the lighter truck won't grab as well under heavy articulation right? Who's ever sat on a car fender to help get the thing unstuck...

We could debate this all day, and heck it's fun to do. I've always said if I want to shave a half pound off my mountain bike the best place to start is my waist line. The fact that I'm on the thing peddling is a lot more important than if the thing weighs in at 28 vs. 27.5 pounds... a quick trip to the woods after breakfast will make more difference than that anyway

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

There is often years between tough extractions! Last year and this year have been awesome snow years thus the big winch is worth it's weight in gold! Most years, and if you don't do snow runs, a small and lighter winch is more than enough. I am an aggressive 'wheeler and especially when I'm Elk hunting my vehicle will get to places few if anyone else in the area could get to so I have to have equipment that will save my arse. If you are more conservative especially on snow runs then lighter duty equipment will be a wiser choice! Like the whole vehicle build thing....you HAVE to decide what you need or will have your vehicle do for you and build it accordingly! Mine just has to get to Starbucks in any weather and location so my build will differ from others! =
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
They all just have to get to Starbucks in any weather and location so join me and the latte!
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 01-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

That's true - my rig wheels much better when and kids stay home
Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
I say use the wire that came with the winch until it is trashed, then change over.
Makes sense.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen View Post
Starbucks!
Attached Images

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
Starbucks!

You forgot one.....
Attached Images

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior